Monday 11 March 2013

BLOW ,BLOW THOU WINTER WIND.....etc!


                                         
We awoke this morning to swirling snowflakes and a bitter wind which had spent the night finding it's way though all the cracks in the woodwork and all the badly fitting windows. I thought at first that the boiler had expired but in fact the poor old girl just could not compete with the freezing east wind.
Having given thanks that no one had occasion to got out today decided to hunker down and keep warm as well as we could. Out came the sweaters,cardigans and fleeces,out came the furry slippers.....Christmas gifts.... and every available draught excluder was deployed.

Niether of the cats showed any inclination what ever to go outside ,to our relief,we topped up the litter tray while the cats looked on thankfully.
I must say that normally our little cottage is quite snug, but when the wind is in this particular direction it blows through the house like an express train.

Over a hot breakfast we decided on a dinner of macaroni cheese and ham ,followed by a steamed strawberry jam suet pudding and custard. I also made a mince meat fruit cake for Pa,the warmth from the oven was pleasant.

Having designated the day a holiday we set about amusing ourselves while attempting to keep warm, this soon proved to be impossible and from this time on we took turns to make hot tea or coffee while piling on more and more warm clothes. I dealt with a pile of correspondence while wearing a hooded fleece cape and a pair of fur line boots and a hot water bottle inside my sweater.!

The afternoon passed slowly and we were all jolly glad when dinner time arrived and I must say we certainly did justice to the meal.

After clearing the kitchen I I took my place in the queue for a shivery shower.
Ac tally that was the warmest I had been all day as the water was piping hot overhead heater thoughtfully installed by the builders last summer really came in to its own.

Now with my gorgeous fur lined hot water bottle newly filled I intent to go to bed and to stay there all night,if the Gods be willing,and if Moth does not decide to have her kittens on the coldest night of the year. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment