Wednesday 27 March 2013

"FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD"


     



                                FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD
Most of today I spent in the kitchen with my very pregnant cat Moth,she looks as if she has swallowed a house brick sideways the poor thing. Those kittens had better come soon or she will pop!
Immediately after breakfast I set about making the bread,which I now do weekly as my arthritis is getting worse,the bread freezes very well but I miss the routine of baking every other day. Today I made two split tins, a cheese loaf,which is wonderful toasted,two small round batch loaves topped with sunflower seeds ,a Coburg and a batch of Chelsea bun;quite a haul!

The shopping arrived and was packed away after which I gave the bathroom a good scrub, wrote several letters before returning to the kitchen to prepare dinner.

I had a small joint of shoulder pork and today for the first time tried cooking both the meat and the roast potatoes together. Shoulder pork can be tricky,one of the cheaper cuts of meat it can if over cooked become as chewy as a mouth full of rubber bands, I need not have worried,all went well and the meat and potatoes cooked perfectly in an hour and fifteen minutes.

A dish of home made stuffing,apple sauce mixed diced vegetables and apple-thyme gravy finished to meal. My son is rather fussy about the way meat is cooked and I must admit I was concerned,all was well however and everyone enjoyed the meal very much.

With just enough room for a Chelsea bun each we sat for a while afterwards enjoying the warmth of the kitchen and the purring of the cats.

How I long to get into the garden,alas,the weather does not permit and I heard today that it is set to become even colder during April. In spite of this we refuse to be discouraged,and will continue in winter mode until things improve. Tomorrow the boys have asked for pumpkin soup and as the bread is nice and fresh,and the weather very cold I shall,of course oblige.

I think a nice steamed jam sponge and custard might go down well with the troops too.

Early start tomorrow as we have ,at last managed to persuade the Local Authority to put up the bird boxes we purchased through out fund-raising last year. Then home to breakfast,toasted cheese bread.....yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment