Sunday 31 March 2013

TIME AND THE BLUE ROSE OF FORGETFULNESS






Every now and then have a sudden burst of memory, something which I may have forgotten for years that invades my consciousness and remains to haunt me for days.
Often this is caused by a piece of music, sometimes a fragrance,a tiny pebble dropped in the well of memory which sends ripples into the dark corners of my mind where lie memories to painful to bear yet to precious to
forget.
As a normally up beat person I find these occasions disquieting, to discover that after so many years the longing, the love and the hurt are still so fresh in spite of being buried amongst the lumber of a life times experiences is always a surprise.

Time can age us,it can line our faces, it can grey our hair and it can change us so that we do not know ourselves,memories are the last things to go. They remain,either treasured or hidden away,to tantalise,and to torment, or to comfort, sometimes.

The thing that both good and bad memories have in common is that they can both be painful,as if the wound were still bleeding and fresh,and this is Times trick,its barbed arrow,for as you still feel the suns warmth from half a century ago; or the dreadful pain of loss as if to were yesterday, you yourself are the only thing to have changed. Your memories stay evergreen and mock the age spots on the hands that were once elegant and fine. The heart still feels the passion of a love long dead even when it is old and tired.

Weather this is good or bad I do not know, Often I think that forgetfulness would be more merciful,
yet at other times I cling to a remembrance as if it could save me from drowning.

There is,in “The Arabian Nights”a tale about a blue rose, who's scent ,if inhaled induced forgetfulness. I suspect that whoever wrote that tale would understand my ramblings better than I do myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment