Friday 29 March 2013

EASTER FEASTING.


                                          




These days few people adhere to the tradition of giving up rich food for Lent,of course hundreds of years ago it was not such a loss as there was practically no fresh meat ,eggs,cream or milk to be had , Most farm animals were slaughtered in late Autumn and salted, and hens laid very little during the winter months due to lack of light. Besides the diet of the ordinary person consisted in the main of dried beans and peas and whatever green stuff,wild of cultivated could be found. Meat was rare in poor households and as poaching carried a death penalty if was not much indulged in,except be Robin Hood!

At Avie's there is little noticeable difference in our meals during Lent,although we do often have fish on Good Friday. Feasting is ,however much more to our taste and as our Saturday and |Sunday will be taken up by gaming, our feast will be deferred until Bank Holiday Monday.

There is still a debate on going as to what form the feast will take, Pa likes Lamb, my son favours Chicken,where as I prefer Beef,I think it highly likely that my son will prevail.....we shall see. I might throw a spanner in the works and suggest a game pie which both the boys love and which will use up most of the remaining game in the freezer. I could even do a cold collation ,no,not in this weather.

Here's a novelty, I have the whole weekend free, no ironing,no baking,no cleaning and no shopping,I simply can't believe it! If,as I suspect the weather proves to be too inclement for gardening I might get out my sketchbook,not touched for an age .I could perhaps do a little quilling,fiddly but fun,I could get on with my novel...or could just enjoy doing nothing and spend all weekend watching old movies, the world is my octopus!

P.S. Still no kittens!

P.P.S The picture shows the food for our fundraiser last April an account of which can be found in the back numbers of Avies Small World.  

No comments:

Post a Comment