Tuesday 9 July 2013

FREEDOM






It was with huge relief that I remembered on waking that I had no baking,cooking,brewing or jam making on today's agenda and so with this in mind I gave myself the day off!
This is an unusual occurrence and overcome with the feeling of freedom I celebrated by putting on some make-up,an even rarer occurrence these days.

Some time ago I was give a full set of mineral make up which I have seldom used and with more time than usual in the morning I proceeded to “Apply a coat of slap”. It was very much easier than all the tubes, pan cakes,concealers and powders of yesteryear and the resulting effect was one of ...wearing no make up at all,almost.

I put my hair up,put on a green silk kaftan and went down to breakfast,after which I saddled up the buggy and road off in to the sunshine,a free woman.

Freedom is heady stuff and I rattled around the lanes and down to the river with the strains of Donovan's "Catch the wind "and a mixture of music past and present. I felt as I had many years ago on leaving my son at school on his first day,both exultant at the feeling of being alone and able to go where I pleased and apprehensive,what was happening in my absence?

In a fit of bravura, I stopped at a riverside pub and ordered a pint of ale and as the first ice cold strangely familiar taste filled my mouth ,the years washed away and I felt an up rush of spirits which had nothing to do with the strength of the beer. How could I have forgotten so completely how good it felt to be out by myself doing as I pleased.

Of course such treats cannot be indulged in often as Pa needs attention around the clock and I will not have my sons young wings clipped as mine have been.............so poor Cinders will not after all be going to the ball.

In spite of all I have said I love to look after my family and would never dream of letting anyone else take care of Pa,it is just that sometimes I miss being me...the real me. Not the nurse,not the cook,the nanny,the housekeeper or the mother,I miss me.

Today for an hour or two I became acquainted with myself once more,then I put the frivolous,fun loving, carefree girl away and by the time I reached home I was my normal self.


If I had one piece of advice to give to anyone from eighteen to eighty it is this enjoy every moment of this lovely life whenever you have the chance, before without warning time or circumstance makes you a stranger to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment