Thursday 25 July 2013

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT




The cat Moth,who has for several days been absent without leave returned late last night,very late indeed,so late that we were on the verge of turning in for the night.
Shortly before she appeared there came from the orchard a horrendous caterwauling,so blood chillingly awful that my hair stood on end. Quite a feat since I have very long hair.

Within a few moments Moth appeared on the garden wall, she gazed disconsolately in to next doors garden and at first refused to acknowledge us and ignored all our blandishments. Tired as I was I became bored with the entire proceedings and took myself off upstairs where I fashioned ,from an old toy spider and some nylon fishing line a tempting toy to attract the attention of the little baggage.

Dangling a fake spider out of an upstairs window in the small hours is not my idea of fun and I must say I was glad that we have no neighbours at the read of the house to look upon my peculiar activities and wonder if I have lost my mind.

Now you must know that Moth has a thing about spiders,ever since she caught one in the shower she has spent most of her waking life searching for more of these savoury little treats. Yuk!
She spotted the spider at once and soon after was sitting in her accustomed place having munched her way though a total of three pouches of cat food.

My son,who has not been himself since she decided to go rogue was happy again,I was happy that he was happy,Pa was happy.....Twiggy however was distinctly dis-chuffed!

Finally at a ridiculously late hour we all went to bed,my son slept like a tired child,Pa slept,snoring like a chainsaw,even I managed a couple of hours before being awaked by a rain storm of epic proportion,the water in the lane was so high that I noted with satisfaction the fact that both the dingy and it's oars were easily to hand(living by a river one never knows) and could be deployed if necessary.

For several hours the rain continued so fall in torrents,hissing as it passed the window,pattering on the leaves of the trees outside my room and gurgling merrily in the drainpipes. I lay cosy in my bed,the cat Moth beside the bed in my armchair,occasionally she opened her eyes, gave a little sigh of pleasure the went back to sleep.

I did not sleep again but it did not matter,I was warm drowsy and very happy indeed.

Of course I paid the price of wakefulness this morning, I was deathly tired. I made pikelets for breakfast then baked eight loaves before collapsing in yo a heap.

Now I am watching the white clouds scudding by and listening to the starlings squabbling over food,I fell that it would be all to easy to fall asleep. Soon I shall go downstairs to the kitchen to prepare our dinner. Cold chicken,|Cray fish, Serrano ham,cheeses,salad from the garden and fresh crusty bread baked this morning. This, followed by orange lavender cake (made yesterday) served with vanilla iced cream.should be the perfect meal for three tired people on a hot and sticky day.


I am so looking forward to a quiet relaxed evening......tomorrow I shall tell you if I got one!

No comments:

Post a Comment