Tuesday 16 July 2013

WAITING FOR NEWS





The heat is not all that is oppressing our family today,tomorrow my mother gets the result of her scan,and I am finding the suspense unbearable, not for myself,but for my mother. They have warned her that they suspect cancer,and although she is being very optimistic and very brave I know what this is doing to her.
I called her yesterday and she was full of interest in my sons doings and asked after each of us ,and all the while my heart was breaking,In that moment I would have given my soul to be able to hug her and kiss her dear face.
I know I do not sound it but I too am optimistic as it is some months since the doctor first broached the subject and from what my mother has told me she feels well,looks well and is eating well.
For months now my mind has been chanting the mantra “Mum is going to be OK. Mum is going to be OK”I fall asleep saying it and when I awake it is usually my first thought.

Thirty years ago my Father died of cancer,he was fifty six years old and had always been fit and strong, watching him slowly lose that strength until he was as dependant as a baby was terrible,I remember every day of it,and so does my mother.

I cannot be there to see her,I can do nothing to help,I cannot even give her the hug she needs so badly and which I so badly need to give. I cannot bear the thought of what tomorrow might bring.

Pa is poorly today he has been asleep for the most part, he is in pain when he awakes and seems to be confused,all I can do is let him rest and give him fluids and his medication.

I dread tomorrow and yet at least we shall know for sure what we are up against,.
How typical of life to temper the happiness of my sons success with the anxiety over my dear mothers health,she is so proud of her grandson ,and he loves her in return. Everything hinges on tomorrow.

Cross your fingers for her and your toes, please.

P.S

Tonight,my son finished the third novel in his new series and celebrated with a large shot of Rum. What ever happens tomorrow I know my Mum will be proud of her clever grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment