Wednesday 17 July 2013

NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS?





After a sleepless night my anxiety about my Mothers health was at fever pitch. I got up early to bake our bread then prepared a breakfast of pancakes and lemon,all the time waiting for the telephone to ring...it did not ring.

I had some errands to run and set off immediately after breakfast all the while expecting a call... nothing. I took a cold shower and dried myself in the cold air blown from my bedroom fan,I could stand the suspense no longer,took a deep breath and called home.

The answer phone took the call at first and just as |I was about to hang up my mother picked up the receiver,she had,she told me been in the garden playing with her little dog. She sounded cheerful and chatted about everything except the one thing I wanted to know about, I could wait no longer and asked if she had heard fro the Doctor.

She too had waited in suspense and had at last made the fateful call, the receptionist said that the results were in, then she asked if my mother wanted to see her doctor....if so it would have to be Friday as he was going away for a few weeks. Nonplussed my mother made an appointment...and that was it.

We chatted for ages and joked about family events,I was able to tell her that my son's latest book is now being advertised by Amazon as a “must read” for sci fi fans..and it is at the top of their list of recommended good reads. She was so pleased and proud,as are we all,his sales figures are climbing steadily,his reviews are all good and already people are pre ordering the next book in the series.


I was glad to have this news for her and even more glad not to have bad news to break to my son when he returned from an appointment with his own G.P. Of course we now have to wait on tenterhooks until Friday.......Friday,,,,the day I have to stuff the cat into a carry box for a trip to the vets....Friday.....I shall be a happy woman when Friday has come and gone1

No comments:

Post a Comment