Thursday 17 May 2012

THE BIG 30




Waking this morning on my sons thirtieth birthday my first thought was”Where did the time go.” just a little while ago I watched him take his first steps, saw him off to school for his first day,watched his graduation from university filled with pride,the time has hurried by and all those things are past.

When I look at the splendid young man he has become it always amazes me that something so fine,so noble and so brilliant could be anything to do with me, yet here he is, the pride of my life.

I served coffee at seven as I could hear him coughing and we hugged as I wished him a happy birthday, with sleep still in his eyes I could see plainly the dear little boy who always wanted another story or another song at bed time.

Before his birth I had never imagined that a child could bring so much love in to the world nor such joy and laughter,I expect all mothers feel so. After more coffee I got on with the special birthday breakfast of freshly made waffles and hot strawberry sauce,a real treat which he loves. Still unable to speak we had a hilarious breakfast as he passed notes to each of us about this and that,trust my lad to make even a bad situation funny,it is his way.

Parcels were next on the agenda and short work was made of the wrapping paper as he unwrapped one book after another and a rather smart box of chocolates. A reefer jacket, a gift from me he had been given some weeks ago in time for his holiday. Cards from family and friends decorated his room by the time the presents were all opened another shelf was filled with books.

Our day was intentionally a lazy one as we have all been “through the mill” as it were lately, my concern was to provide a famous feast for the birthday boy and I spent a good deal of the day making my special onion sauce and ensuring that the gammon was cooked to juicy perfection. All went well and everyone enjoyed the results of my work as they tucked in to sugar crisp gammon with creamy mashed potato, glazed carrots sweet garden peas and the richest and creamiest onion sauce,if I say so my self.

Almost too full we tackle a slice of the birthday cake each after which no one wanted to move.

Today has been fun in spite of sore throats and sleepless nights. When I look at my dear son I feel that I am the luckiest person in the world, he is everything a mother could wish for in a son and so much more.

Thirty years ago exactly cradling my new born child in my arms I made him a promise that there would never be a day of his life when he was not certain of my love,I have kept my word.

No comments:

Post a Comment