Tuesday 29 May 2012

PARSLY SAGE ROSEMARY AND BADGERS


Three days have elapsed since the sowing of this years parsley, done with due ceremony and the customary seven fold curse, all should have been well. Yesterdays inspection of the garden revealed that our resident badgers had been at it again, digging for chaffer grubs, we are used to this. Undeterred I smoothed over the soil sprinkled on a little more seed and covered the seed bed with a net.
Came the dawn, yet again the bed had been disturbed except that this time the entire bed had been excavated to a depth of six inches and more so that any seeds would either be scattered on the path or buried so deep that even with the devils assistance they would never be able it germinate.

Pondering the problem I decided to maw out the grass pathways in the flower garden it was while I was edging that I made up my mind what to do., in need of a break after mowing I buzzed off to the garden centre where I purchased a large tub of parsley. Basil was on special offer to gardening club members and I purchased a container with several varieties of well grown plants.

Temptation got the better of me and as well as some more parsley seed I also brought two edible gourd plants of a kind I am unfamiliar with,I like to try new things. Apart from a little watering there was time for nothing more as I needed to be back in the kitchen preparing dinner. Sausages wrapped in streaky bacon served with baked tomatoes, potato roster,a tomato sauce and a wholegrain mustard cream sauce for Pa

During the meal we discussed the problems in the herb garden, foxes have destroyed two quite large rosemary bushes by rubbing themselves vigorously against the plants in an attempt to deter fleas ticks and mites. Several thyme plants are now quit bald after being raided by starlings to line their nests for similar reasons.

Years ago I planted a small herb garden at the bottom of the vegetable garden for the foxes especial use but they seem to prefer the convenience of the herbs in the flower garde and who can blame them?

Sadly little can be done as we all love the foxes and the badgers however there is one thing which really annoys me and that is people who come to my garden for fresh herbs(and many are welcome) without bringing a pair of secateurs or scissors. Pulling and tugging at the plants damages them dreadfully ,One of my bay bushes died after receiving this treatment from several frequent callers,needles to say the new bay trees are sited no where near the front door this time.

Tomorrow the builders move in for the duration,wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment