Monday 28 May 2012

THE HEAT IS ON




Monday morning did not go quite according to the manual as a succession of callers slowed my progress through the usual Monday chores to a total halt. Pa refused to get up so I made the days bread while he was thinking about it then set about preparing breakfast for the two of us.
Still insisting that he is going to work tonight my son remained in bed and it had been my intention to leave him there for as long as possible,it was unfortunate therefore that some benighted imbecile decided to test the sound system for Saturdays Jubilee Party which is to be held at a public house a couple of hundred yards away.

Bell-ringers, a pest at the best of times decided to practice their Jubilee peal which added t the din and by ten my son was wide awake and so joined us for a breakfast of pancakes .
When at last the noise subsided he returned to his room to rest but did not sleep again worse luck!

Three trays of shortbread were gently baking in the oven when a knock at the door producing the man who is to oversee the building work,unfortunately he could not tell us when they would start just that it would be some time soon. It was over an hour before I could return to my work. Washing up took for ever as my telephone kept on ringing and in the end I turned the blessed thing off to get a little peace and quiet.

When at last I gained the sanctuary of the garden there was the question of where to start, the grass on the path ways was long, I gritted my teeth ,put some two stroke in the strimmer and off I went. Keeping the grass paths short has been difficulties year as the rain has made the grass grow while at the same time preventing me form cutting it.

Poles, posts and fences are anathema to a strimmer, the least contact with any of these will cause the cord to wrap around the object in question and pull out leaving a useless head and an over revving engine. While struggling to fit a new length of cord I hear a voice from behind me saying “Is the kettle on?” It wasn't but I was resigned and tottered into the kitchen ,made a pot of tea and broached one of the trays of shortbread all the while feeling about as hospitable as an irate wasp!

Eventually I returned to the garden and had just enough time to finish the strimming and set up the sprinkler before hauling ass back indoors to prepare dinner. Simple omelettes with cheese ham and mushroom fillings with salad from the garden and fresh bread …..lovely.

Returning to the garden for a few moments as the sun was setting I photographed the work in progress and although I am much less oft that last year things are shaping up nicely. Twiggy took a turn with me about the flower garden but of course she refused to have any truck with the kitchen garden where water was still spraying the strawberry beds.

Life is returning to normal at least for a short time before chaos in the form of plumbers,builders electricians ,gas fitters and sundry other artisans descend upon us...........I long for a few quiet days to rest and relax but a blue snow on August bank holiday is more likely I am afraid, oh well nothing daunted we shall soldier on ,but oh won,t I be glad when it's all over?

No comments:

Post a Comment