Sunday 13 May 2012

SPRING SUNDAY




Sunshine and warmth brought out bees and butterflies in quantities along with tourists and me! Moving heaven and earth I ploughed through the days chores in order to have some time in the garden where a multitude of seasonal tasks awaited my attention and so great was my joy that I even enjoyed mowing and edging the paths again.

Progress was a little slow as so many people stopped to admire the garden or ask about some of the more unusual plants therein so I shifted operations to the orchard so as to make the most of the little time I had left before dinner. Rather late I planted some horseradish,and Jerusalem artichokes along with a couple of cardoons,I shall need to be very lucky if they are to thrive having such a late start.

Having lost the green house I have decided to use the frame for a number of climbing plants to make an arbour,last week I was given a beautiful Japanese honeysuckle and this along with the climbing roses I plated there last week will start the ball rolling. Torn between a clematis or a for the back of the arbour I shall have to toss a coin as time is short.

Trellis and some woven planters were deployed and radish sown in the planter along with beetroot’s and rocket, the trellis will encourage the honeysuckle to gain hight quickly and if all goes well by this time next year it should look very attractive.

How sweet the air did smell as all around us the hawthorn bushes are a mass of creamy white flowers,each with their pinky brown stamens resembling a child’s freckles and giving of a delicious perfume,how I wish it could be bottled. Busy on the feeders are the newly fledged blue tits from the white bird house which is empty now but not for long and blue tits raise two broods a year an din the winter time as many as thirty sleep in the deep box huddled together for warmth.

Amid all the up rush of life and activity my poor son, now with no voice at all is struggling to make us believe that e is on the mend,I an not deceived and shall make him an appointment with his GP tomorrow. Whether he takes the advice he has been given I cannot say as he is every bot as stubborn as his mama and does not take kindly to sitting about. Unable to speak and feeling rotten he has missed both of his weekend games and his friends showed their concern by braving the prevailing plague and visiting him before heading to the pub.

Twiggy our cat gloried in the fine weather and charged about the orchard like a mad thing until eexhausted by tree climbing and chasing bumble bees she draped herself prettily on a bench and went to sleep,with one eye open of course for fear of missing something!

Through out the afternoon our old neighbours continued to carry their belongings to their new house with the help of friends and as they locked up for the last time we gave them a house-warming gift for their new home. Last Christmas I was given a pair of beautiful Port Merrion mugs and both the boys had admired them very much so I picked up a pair as a gift for them and another p[air for myself. Not only do they make great breakfast mugs as they hold such a lot they are perfect for hot chocolate and marshmallows which we drink during the winter and having become used to a little luxury I should hate to go back to ordinary mugs for such things and now my son can have one of his own which has pleased him very much.

Dinner tonight was made with my sons sore throat in mind and lasagne with salad and garlic bread was chosen as most suitable. Tomorrow I shall cook a stir-fry of pork with soft noodle stir-fried vegetables and lots of sweet and sour sauce. Thursday is my sons thirtieth birthday and I hope that he is well enough to eat some of his cake. There was to have been a party here this evening but he cancelled it and now we shall have a double event in two weeks time when he will share a party with a close friend in our kitchen as is the custom .

Now I am off to have a bath and to try and remove a large splinter from my derrière,I foolishly had a disagreement with a large wild rose bush....the rose bush won!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment