Sunday 27 May 2012

BLOOMERS


Perhaps it was the long exposure to discord which I experienced last night,perhaps a chemical hangover from the large doses of pain relief I took at midnight, perhaps I am just going potty,who can say. Whatever the cause for some reason I awoke this morning convinced that it was Monday which foolish misconception had a bizarre effect upon the whole day.

I rose early and made coffee for Pa and I, I left my son asleep as he is adamant that he will be going to work on Monday,so thinking that it was Monday I left him to sleep on. Exhorting Pa up “get a move on.” I tackled some of the Monday morning chores. Nothing happened to break the spell until I announced to Pa that was going to make bread before cooking his breakfast.
Baffled Pa remarked that I usually make bread on Mondays, and I concurred stating that as this was Monday his remark was redundant, it was at this juncture I realised my very stupid mistake.

Help! Sunday morning, past nine and y sons friends would be arriving soon for their game, with my son still in bed and fast asleep I made the fastest coffee on record and woke him at one with of course profound apologies!

What followed during the next hour was a speeded up version of our usual Sunday breakfast through out which I pondered as to what the devil had made me so convinced that it was Monday. When you reach my age these sudden mental aberrations could have a sinister cause and the be frank this is not the first time in recent weeks that such a thing has occurred.

A ll too soon people began to arrive signalling an end of peace and quiet for the time being.
Suddenly I remembered the party,BUM!!!!! Acute laryngitis had caused my son to cancel his own birthday party some weeks ago and as today is the birthday of another member of the group it was agreed that today should be a joint affair.
Still unwell my son has refused to cancel again and so a huge chocolate fudge cake awaited the occasion along with copious amounts of vanilla iced cream.....how could I have forgotten.

Murphy being the aggravating fellow he is the boys arrived early (it ever rains) and as soon as the had departed I cleared the kitchen and escaped to the garden hoping that the peace and quiet would effect a repair upon my scattered wits. Alas it was not to be.

Tools at the ready I was just about to begin clearing the old spinach bed when and anguished cry from the house called me back indoors, and it was did I have any idea where the clean shirts were;of course I did they were in the ironing basket...........BUM1

Sunday is an ironing day and having been busy during the past week I have neglected this delightful task,I set yo the ironing board and with a very bad grace. Shirts,T shirts and the usual pesky odds and ends took an age but once done I was heading for the garden again when Pa reminded me that since we were soon it have a house full of revellers were we having our baths during the afternoon.....BUM BUM BUM !!!!!!!!!!

Events over took me as it happened and I did not manage to bathe before the hungry hoards descended having been waylaid by a passing acquaintance, quite literally ,who kept me nattering for far too long and causing me to remember why I had for some time been avoiding working in the front garden on a Sunday. BUM!

Perhaps it was fortunate that I had not time for much work in the garden as I was already in a good deal of pain from my previous exertions.
Down stairs the revellers are playing a card game and eating cake, the party will break up much earlier than usual as my son wants to get an early night to prepare him for work tomorrow night and another of the guests has an early interview.

One of my sons friends is a recruitment officer of some standing, a renown head hunter who has been trying to persuade my son to leave his present outfit for a more promising location where his undoubted talents and many contacts would be appreciated. During a conversation this evening he confessed to me that he was baffled as to why my son kept refusing the ever increasing offers in spite of the fact that his employers treat their staff so badly.

Explaining my son's attitude was difficult as these days the concept of honour is considered in the light of weakness rather than a matter worthy of praise. Killer instinct ,much prized these days has been largely responsible for the bloody awful mess that our country and many others are in. Power hungry testosterone fuelled overly ambitious go getters who got the goods all right and left both companies and countries bankrupt.

My son is ambitious though he would not harm his friends to achieve his goal. My son is honourable, he has integrity and I love him for it.
All the same I wish with all my heart that he could be persuaded to cock a snook at the self satisfied oiks who pretend to run the show while resting upon others laurels.

Enough of this frippery, my views upon these persons are well known and they have been the victims of my strictures on many occasions, THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE!

No comments:

Post a Comment