Tuesday 1 May 2012

LOCKED OUT

After spending a large part of last week marooned inside the house today just for a change we found ourselves locked out. Yesterday afternoon I found on my return home that I could not make the key turn in the lock,for me this is no new thing as from time to tome the arthritis in my hands can make this manoeuvre tricky. I rang the door bell, was let in and thought no more of it, Later in the day Pa experienced the same difficulty and again we put it down to old age and decrepitude as we had in my case, it was not until this morning that we realised that the problem was the lock itself. Shattered after a weeks holiday,a gruelling day at the fĂȘte on Sunday and a long night shift on Monday night my son discovered that he could not gain entry to the house,irritated he rang the doorbell. Pa and I were both still asleep but I awoke at once and made my way down stairs, my progress was painfully slow as I was still very stiff and when I finally opened the door my poor boy stood there pale as a ghost in the pouring rain with a tragic expression which smote my heart. Within minutes the kettle was on and coffee made while the soggy traveller changed into his dressing gown. We chatted about work as we ate our toast and drank our coffee, how I wish he would leave that wretched place before his health suffers any more from the appalling stress he had been under for so long. Until recently he loved his work, now he hates it and knowing what has been going on there for the last couple of years it comes as no surprise. A less loyal individual who cared less for those he works with would have given them a rude salutation and walked out years ago. Pa and I have watched him become increasingly unwell and worried for his team and I believe in my heart that if things do not alter soon something will have to give! When ever I contemplate these matters I congratulate myself upon the number of close friends I have in the legal profession During the course of the afternoon our lock was changed and new keys exchanged for old and I had a wonderful surprise. Ill health , bad weather and all the time spent baking for the fĂȘte has meant that I have not been to the garden centre for about two weeks, as I am a daily visitor as a rule my absence was noticed and this afternoon a nice young man appeared on the doorstep with two lovely rose bushes in pots ready to plant out, people can be very kind. As I write the sun is shinning and the air is filled with the heaven;y scent of hawthorn blossom and the candle spires of horse chestnut in the lane. In the garden sweet woodruff are producing even more lovely scent and campion ,grannies bonnets and violets are creating a splash of colour. My little cat is sitting in a large flowerpot which stands on a pedestal at the bottom of the garden, she is attracting a great deal of attention from passers by, vain creature. Now I must head for the kitchen to make lasagne for dinner, the meat sauce is cooked and the bechamele made this morning so all I have to do is put it all together with some fresh pasta sheets, make some garlic bread and the job will be done. Once the dishes are done my tired feet and I will soak in a nice hot bake and then I intend to laze away the entire evening watching a film. Good night every one, sleep tight and if the fleas bit be sure and bite them back!

No comments:

Post a Comment