Sunday 22 January 2012

APPOLOGIES TO HERMAN!


I take back everything I said that was of a derogatory nature about “Herman” the sour dough cake starter from Germany. Today was day ten of the starters life and having divided up the mixture in to four yesterday and foisting one off upon my neighbour,I set one aside to start over again and with the remaining two portions I made the sour dough cake which was on the list of instructions which came with the beast.

Being a contrary madam however I made a few alterations and added cherries instead of raisins ans blue berries instead of apples and then threw ion a handful of walnuts and some Slivered almonds for good measure. After only a few minutes in the oven the cakes, for the mixture was enough to make a pair smelled glorious and when after forty minutes I took from the oven two golden brown and cert delectable trays bakes.

Pa and I waited only long enough for the cakes to cool slightly before sampling them and I have to report that the generous slices we cut were delicious, sticky and altogether wonderful.
When we tried the cold later in the day they were still really good and I shall of course be making them again. The actual making was very easy and the variations many so we m=need not have the same cake next time. However I am willing to bet that the boys will ask for cherries again. Wow!

I shall send a box in to work with my son tomorrow for his friends to try along with some treacle oaties, if they like them perhaps I shall find a home for some of Herman,s offspring in the future.

My son was out with his friends today so Pa and I had a quiet afternoon feeding the birds and so forth. I prepared a cottage pie for dinner. I love a nice cottage pie but I do not cook them often as my son prefers lasagne, which is really nothing more than an Italian cottage pie.
Today I was aloed to indulge myself as I have cooked everyone,s favourites this week, I enjoyed it too with a jug of rich dark gravy, carrots and peas comfort food with bells on!

The cat Twiggy enjoyed the sunshine this morning and spent a merry hour or two tearing around the orchard, up and down the trees and blast and damn it sitting on my tunnel cloches which does them no good at all. On a similar subject we were obliged last not to order another buggy shelter as due to the attentions of a family of foxes, Twiggy and Diamonds the small tear in the roof turned over night into a gaping hole. It was evident that something, a fox we suspect jumped off the fence and on to the shelter and went straight through!

Early in the afternoon it became quite suddenly very cold and Twiggy returned to her roost in my bedroom widow to warm her pretty pink paws on the radiator, I have had many cats in my life time but this one is so darned cute, she gets away with murder!

Our holiday week is over once again and tomorrow the coach turns back into a pumpkin and we all get back on the tread mill. For my son it has been a productive week, and for Pa and I a happy one. Now we await whatever next week brings...................some snow would be nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment