Thursday 12 January 2012

SQUEAKY CLEAN ?



I always wonder why politicians and others in high office Set such high moral standards for the rest of us, it almost seems to be asking for trouble.

We are to be honest, truthful, thrifty and not indulge in any deviant behaviour, well that is fair enough, but how often do the very people who exhort us to behave in a particular fashion get caught out breaking the very rules they set for the rest of us.

Let us take for example the clergy and the recent scandal in the Catholic Church. Their priests prey upon the children in their flock while praying for the souls of their parents.They preach morality to the rest of us and profess abstinence themselves. This is the worst kind of hypocrisy.

Politicians exhort us to uphold family values and them we discover that these same people are either rogering their secretaries, keeping a couple of mistresses or importuning young men in public lavatories, it beggars belief.

It is demanded of us that we are honest with the Inland Revenue and the DHSS and then we discover that our political masters are cheating us all hand over fist. It is a damned disgrace.

When will these stupid people realise that before you begin laying down the law on any subject you had better be squeaky clean yourself. I am reminded of an incident at my school many years ago. During assembly we have received a lecture on the passing of notes in class, this had became a bit of a craze and the teachers wanted it stopped. Another member of staff brought up the subject of fighting in the playground and said that in future any boy caught fighting would be given a weeks detention and would be obliged to entertain their class mates with a boxing match between the protagonists.

“Well, what’s wrong with that?” I hear you ask. Nothing at all until I tell you that the very next day this same member of staff observed a male colleague passing a note to his wife, jumped to the right conclusion and began a full scale brawl with the fellow in the school dinning room, to the profound delight of every urchin in the place!

I think it shows a want of sense to issue orders which you yourself might at some time through no fault of your own be unable to comply with, after all we are only human. And if if you do break them you had better hope that you never, ever get caught in breach as it were of your own edict. Here endeth the lesson!

I changed my mind about working in the garden as there was a very chilly wind blowing through the kitchen garden. You had I had a fall a week or two ago had did some damage to my back which is still giving me a good deal of pain. In light of this I decided that discretion must be the better part ….and all that.....and stayed in my nice warm kitchen to do some baking.

Rummaging through the ingredients I set aside some crystallised apple, some dried pears and dried apricots. I chopped them finely and added them to a biscuit mixture of my own with the addition of a dash of Irish whisky and a pinch of spice. They turned out nicely but they have yet to pass the cookie test with those who will eat them and so I shall not post the recipe until I know if they are OK.

In between baking the batches of cookies I made some steak burgers for dinner, these are a favourite with my son and he seemed to need cheering up today. These were served with caramelised red onions toasted burger buns and jacket wedges and each burger was topped with a hitch slice of cheddar cheese. Just the thing for tonight and it certainly did the trick.
I am hopping to sleep a little better tonight as my new pain relief tablets have arrived, fingers crossed, goodnight all.x

No comments:

Post a Comment