Thursday 19 January 2012

Top Gear Answers Avie's Call




You may remember a few months ago I sent an e mail to Top Gear to issue a challenge. This involved the team in a mobility scooter race which was to consist of the guys taking the buggies on a shopping trip in a major supermarket, loading the scooters on a train to Wales and then doing a cross country race. I am not sure how much of the challenge they are going to do, all I do know is that they were filming yesterday in Abbergavenny and all three were on mobility scooters!

I was stunned when my son told me about this last night, I really did not think that they would have the bottle to take up the gauntlet, well hats off to the lads because they did.
In my time I have scrambled motor bikes, driven tractors and rolled a few motor cars, the woman driver that every comic jokes about....I am she! Yet I still say that driving a mobility scooter takes more guts than driving a sports car or a 4x4. When one sits on a mobility scooter one becomes invisible, well judging from the number of people who attempt to walk right through one.

Motorists hate us, pedestrians hate us, we get mugged and abused because people think that we are a quite literally a sitting target. I have to tell you that there are at least two young men hobbling about town who now know better!

Back to Top Gear, there are already a few well meaning twerps whinging on about what an insult it is for the guys to race mobility scooters, this is ,not to put to finer point upon it a load of bollocks! The silly so and so's are just a bunch of pious twerps, after all the team make fun of every the vehicle and the people who drive them so why should the disabled be discriminated against. We may not be able to walk but we still have our sense of humour and think of this. If a high profile show like Top Gear highlights these vehicles in what ever way they choose to do it people may with luck begin to notice us sufficiently that they will stop walking in to us and then blaming us for running them over.

I have to tell you that Jeremy Clarkson and \James May both look thoroughly fed up Richard Hammond seems to be enjoying it rather more. Perhaps they should look upon this as a penance for the awful India Special of which I bitterly complained a couple of weeks ago.
I need not tell you that we shall be watching with interest to see how the chaps got on.

Incidentally the scooters have been modified considerably and the look great....maybe that gives me an idea?

Back to mundane matters, this morning I was obliged to de-frost a large chest freeze. In order to speed things up I used to steamer to blast boiling steam over the ice and it worked, the freezer was defrosted in record time. If I should catch the idiot who left the freezer lid jammed slightly open I shall stick the steamer hose somewhere very personal to ensure that he does not make the same mistake again!

We feasted tonight on roasted belly pork served on trenchers of bread with roasted vegetables, jacket wedges, tarragon dip and roast garlic sauce.........lovely, and of course Twiggy had her share of the meal.

Pa returned this afternoon from a trip to town with several bega of fruit pastiles, he has got hold of the idea that I am partial to them when in fact I detest the blessed things, I added them to the collection and I now have five large bags stuffed in a drawer...such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment