Thursday 5 January 2012

NEW BEGINNINGS



Now that the Christmas decorations are all packed away it really does feel like a new year has begun. The kitchen looks odd without the streamers and baubles and the living room looks positively huge now that the Christmas tree has been taken down.

My son and I tackled this job with mixed feelings, sad because the holiday really is over and glad to have our rooms back to normal. Half way through a visitor arrived to return a cake tin and this seemed like a good excuse for a break of tea and biscuits all round. We caught up on the local gossip and discusses future plans,it was a welcome distraction.

All too soon it was back to the task in hand and by this time my usual dust allergy had returned and I sneezed and wheezed my way through the next hour or so. Upstairs I could hear similar sound effects as my son also suffers in the same way but by three O clock we had everything neatly boxed and safely put away for another year. We both heaved a huge sigh of relief and returned to our rooms to gloat over the wonderful amount of space that suddenly we seemed to have ….still sneezing alarmingly every few seconds!

How the wind did blow during the afternoon,dustbins and bits of shed blew about and several trees came down during the course of the day, One of our friends was blocked in as a huge tree had fallen across her drive and in the park several more trees fell victim to the gale. I had intended to go out for some fresh air after taking down the decorations but by the time I was ready to go the wind was tearing along the lane and at intervals there came the cracking sound of a branch being ripped away . The lane is full of trees and it did not seem sensible to take the risk.

Our little cat had spent an hour outside this morning but as the wind increased she stationed herself in the upstairs window to watch the flying twigs and the flurries of dead leaves, paper bags and other debris blown about the garden and in the lane. Sensibly warm and cosy she had a grandstand view of flying hats and inside out umbrellas, birds flying backwards and small children shrieking with glee as they chased each other down the lane.

Through out the day the glorious smell of a game pudding gladdened
our hearts as we worked away and my son and I took turns to top up the steamer with water. By five thirty we were sitting down to a delicious winter meal, the golden suet crust hiding the slow cooked venison, rabbit, pheasant and hare,rich game gravy flavoured with juniper berries and blackberry jelly and a dish of garden peas full of sweetness and a perfect accompaniment to the pudding.

The choice of menu was a happy one and we certainly did justice to this old fashioned meal, twiggy too had a share, a few snippets of rabbit were set aside for her on a small saucer.

I mean to enjoy the next few days, a little baking, the occasional trip out, a game of two but next week I really must get back to work. I have been playing truant from the conservation group for some weeks and there are a few repairs that need attention, forms to be filled in and appointments to be made. But that is for next week, for the present I am still on holiday and I mean to make the most of every moment.

I had a lovely surprise today when a parcel arrived for me from America, a set of DVD's
Shakespeare's “An Age Of Kings” which I watched as a child of seven years. This series was based upon the plays of Shakespeare and it was the beginning of my life long love affair with all thing theatrical and with history. My enlightened parents allowed me to watch what was at the time considered to be unsuitable viewing for a child and I have never forgotten how wonderful it seemed to me.
I have been unable to obtain copy's of these plays but Pa, with the help of my son traced a company in the States and ordered the set as a surprise and so it was. To be able to see once again such amazing performances from the young Judi Dench, Sean Connery and Robert Hardy to name a few will be wonderful. Guess what I shall be doing tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment