Sunday 1 January 2012

HERE WE GO AGAIN !

My New Year began as it has always done finding me absolutely shattered due to the lack of sleep on New Years Eve. By the time I got to bed last not it was well past two and

I was as far enough beyond sleep to realise that it would be hours before I nodded off.

I had spent the time before midnight desperately torturing myself to stay awake and we said good riddance to the old year and welcome to the new one in the traditional way with a good stiff drink(always as well when contemplating the future)opening all the doors ans windows and the obligatory first foot after which we watched the amazing fireworks.

My son elected to remain awake all night in order to sleep today and be ready for work this evening, his activities contributed,as always to my difficulty in sleeping and it was not until seven thirty when he finally went to bed that I too managed to fall asleep, a very deep sleep!

I slept so late that Pa was up before me ,something which never,ever happens, when I went down to make him a coffee at ten thirty he was up and dressed. I think he thought that I had snuffed it during the night ,he seemed awfully relieved to see me,which was nicer than his usual grouchy remarks as I shake him awake for the umpteenth time each morning!

My inability to wake up this morning had a knock on effect and we did not breakfast until after twelve on fresh baked blueberry muffins. It has been a tradition in our family for many years that on New Years day I prepare a huge venison pasty for dinner with a big jug of game gravy. Last night during dinner we were all feeling a little tired and decided that we would break with this tradition and have soup for dinner with fresh baked bread. I had not been to keen at the time but today I was mighty relieve not to have to mess around with pastry an so forth.

The soup I made was what the boys call Avies Happy Soup,so called because they are always happy to eat it and because it is such a warm and cheerful colour.

Avies Happy Soup
1 red pepper
1orange pepper
2 large carrot
8 oz of orange fleshed butter nut squash of pumpkin
2 red onions
1 large parsnip
2 sweet potatoes
4oz swede
salt
pepper
1 heaped tablespoon of ground coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1 pint of milk
vegetable or chicken stock.....cubes will do.
3 tablespoons olive oil

Peel and chop all the vegetables and put then in to a deep hitch bottomed pan with the olive oil. Cook until they reduce in size and are slightly caramelised then add the ground coriander and the paprika storing to ensure that all the vegetables are well coated and that the spices are cooked. Add enough stock to cover the vegetables and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for thirty minutes.
Pour some of the milk in to a blender and add some of the vegetables and stock until two thirds full, blitz and repeat until all the milk and vegetables are used. Pour into tureen and reheat adding salt and pepper to your own taste.
The frying of the spices is what makes this soup different and it makes a warming meal on a cold wet night.
If you wish you may add a swirl of crème fraich or a little grated Parmigiana.

My son has to go off to work in the pouring rain which makes me feel rather sad so I shall spend spent the next couple of hours planning treats for next week when he will be at home and watching a Will Hay film namely “Ask A Policeman”.. they don't make then like that any more and it will be a fine cure for having watched a bunch of self congratulatory modern comics holding forth upon the events of last year. I was damned glad they had captions telling the audience that they were meant to be funny...without them I should never have guessed.

My bed awaits, I hear its siren call, pardon the cliché , my tiredness must be my excuse, my little cat and a lovely hot water bottle are also waiting and the soothing warmth of one and the gentle purring of the other are the best way to fall asleep that I know of........and so goodnight and blessings lit upon you.

No comments:

Post a Comment