Monday 30 January 2012

FREE....FOR A WEEK.


Today began with rejoicing all round as we began our week of freedom and we celebrated with a dozen soft rolls filled with crispy panchetta and fruity sauce. All the talk around the table was the RBS bonus story and the fact that the brass hats have at last done the decent thing even if they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to it!

Enough people have made enough noise about it that at last those arrogant ******** who thought they were unassailable are beginning to wonder if that is indeed the case! After all the Government cannot protect them from the rage of a nation betrayed and judging by the vox populous I would say that this is the beginning of the end for the fat cats and those who aid and abet them. Oh and by the way it's me first with the clothes line when they string up the chancellor!

Back to more pleasant matters, today was as is usual for a Monday a baking day and loaves were on the agenda, five to be precise. Three for us and two for our some friends who like us cannot abide shop bought bread but who unlike me do not have the time to bake their own.
We operate a kind of barter system, I do their baking and one of them does odd jobs for us ,another donates a bag of bird food every so often and this works well for us all.

Delivering the bread gets me out of the house and into the fresh air for half an hour and a chance to do a little personal shopping. If I mention to the boys that I am going to the shops within minute I have been given a list of errands a mile long! Today I purchased some mustard and cress seeds some of which will, I hope be ready by the weekend.

On my return a once again tackled Herman the sour dough cake. I have only managed to off load one portion of this prolific cake plant this time and so I bit the bullet and baked two huge caked. One was stuffed with cherries, candied mango, papaya and pineapple and the other with dates walnuts and apples with a good helping of spice. Soon the whole house was wreathed in the most delectable aromas which I cannot begin to b
describe. Both the boys arrived in the kitchen to see what was making the wonderful smell and were delighted when I told them that the cakes would be ready by dinner time.

I always fill the cake tins and the cookie jars an Monday as we are sure to have callers, especially since the estate workers are working on a nearby house and will certainly pop in for their breaks, unless of course their Gauliter of a boss stops them from doing so.
Our evening meal was a simple one of baked Camembert with fresh crusty bread and butter apricot sauce, tomato sauce and ham. The choice of cakes for afters more than made up for the lightness of the meal although it is far more filling than it sounds.

Concerned that my son should get to bed early everything was done early and quickly so that soon after dinner he had a lovely long soak in a nice hot bath and then to bed. He was asleep in minutes poor boy. Pa and I will have our hot chocolate and a little super later and then we too will turn in. Plagued by the pain in my legs I am sleeping badly at the moment but my bed is soft and warm and I have my little cat for company and of course the new book to read . I have no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment