Saturday 14 January 2012

LAZY SATURDAY


It was another glorious morning full of sparkles and pastel shades of blue and pink. Today the frost did not melt quickly in the morning sun , in hollows and parts of the garden where the sun arrives late in winter time it remained all day. The ivy on the old wall was a s pretty as a Christmas card and the dead leaves of blackberry, red and gold were edged with silver.

Last night the bathroom light gave up the ghost and Pa and I bathed by candle light, this in itself posed no problem but as the fan is linked to the same pull we did steam up rather. My son nobly essayed to remove the old bulb which was winking on and off quite alarmingly and after much changing of screwdrivers (you can never find the right one when it is needed) he managed to remove the cover.

Able at last to switch on the fan we soon cleared the steam and my son went off to bed flushed with success. I agreed to pick up a new bulb during the course of the day so that he could fit it before any more baths were taken. He is the only one who can reach the ceiling, it is a great thing to be tall.

We were joined by our next door neighbour for breakfast , I made a batch of hot piklets well stuffed with sultanas to be buttered and smothered in maple syrup. It is surprising hoe many of these one can eat and I was kept busy for quite a while making these delicious treats two at a time. We had a good deal to talk over as our neighbour is hopping to move in to the much larger house at the other end of our orchard. I am glad that he is not going far as theses two boys are the best neighbours we have ever had.

Of course we shall have new people to get to know and we all hope that we shall be lucky again, time will tell. One good thing which will come out of the move is that we will be able to use his garage to house our buggies as he has no car and the garage at the new house is a large one so he very kindly suggested that we use it ,he is a very kind and thoughtful young man. He laughs at me when I call him young man as he is actually forty five and his house mate if forty, my youngest brother is the same age and I always think of him as young.

Pa and I coasted through the rest of the day and the time seemed to go so quickly that before I knew it I was making our evening meal of bacon chops with eggs, hash browns corn on the cob and bred and butter with of course hot tomato sauce without which the boys would not eat this meal. My son fixed the bathroom light after dinner, it was rather tricky but he managed it very well. N.B.I am still obliged to grovel whenever he does any DIY since I once commented that he was less than skilled in thatdepartment, now he never lets me forget my hasty remark.

On Sunday my son does his last night shift for a week and we shall be able to return to normal life for a while,in the mean time Pa myself and the cat wile settle down to a quiet night after my son leaves for work. Hot chocolate and marshmallows and a home made biscuit for supper and some nice cod roes for the cat.

I cannot think why I am so tired tonight after all I have had such a lazy day,oh well goodnight folks,sleep tight....you know the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment