Tuesday 31 January 2012

OUR SUPPLIES ARRIVE




Early last week a stock take of the freezers revealed that the time had come to place another order with our butcher in Yorkshire. While we were by no means out of meat the choice was becoming rather limited .Our last order was placed last October and included all the Christmas meats and I feel that we have done well to get through the first part of winter with meat to spare.

Ham was decided upon as we all enjoyed the Christmas joint so much. A 10.85kg whole ham
arrived and this will ,I hope provide us with at least ten main meals plus sandwiches and several soups for the cost of £35.00. Ham if cooked from fresh can be frozen after cooking and cut in to steaks or dice, the bone can be used for soup as can the stock and as the meat is already cooked it needs only to be re-heated thus making an important saving on fuel .

Chicken dice, breasts and thighs also arrived along with three large brisket joints, and the usual minced steak, bacon steaks and pork bellies. Pork chops ,pork mince for burgers, and a pair of ham hocks,,diced pork and diced venison completed the delivery and were soon packed away in to the awaiting empty freezer. Tomorrow we shall feast on hot roast ham with all the trimmings and it is good to know that I can give the family this treat while at the same time knowing that the meat cost less than a pound a head! I must say that this order has been predominantly made up of pork cuts,at the moment pork seems to be in favoured use.

Later in the morning the dry goods were delivered, such necessities as flour, rice ,semolina and of course store cupboard essentials such as tinned tomatoes,pasta and olive oil. Cleaning products are also ordered and in fact the only items we usually purchase ourselves are vegetables and fruit and since our garden supplies much of this the amounts are not large.
I find that a meat order every three months or so and a grocery delivery once a fortnight works well for us and a few trips to the shops for fresh fruit, vegetables and fish are all we really need in addition.

Fresh steak mince proved too tempting for my son and he stopped dropping hints and came right out and asked if I would make lasagne for dinner so as we had some fresh pasta sheets arriving of course I agreed. Pasta in any form is his very favourite food and I am certain that he would ,if given the opportunity eat the stuff daily. On the other hand it does make him easy to please for which I am thankful during busy times as pasta is quick to do.

Our first day has gone well and we all enjoyed unpacking the meat boxes, my son always tries to be at home on delivery day. We had a lazy breakfast of poached eggs on toast and spent the rest of the day with my son writing, Pa feeding his wild birds and myself planning menus for the next few weeks. I do not stick too rigidly to the plan but I do find that it helps to prevent waste and ensures the best use of any leftovers.

Twiggy hate delivery day as it disturbs her peace and quiet, she dislikes callers and the bustle cause all over the house by the putting away of the produce causes her to fidget from room to room and in and out of the house until I feel that we must have at least a dozen cats . When at last peace was restored she betook herself to my bedroom and hiding the window behind the curtain with her head under a lamp and her tail over the radiator. Talk about creature comforts!

For the past few nights I have been dreaming that I was back in the theatre, first playing a part for which I did not know the lines second in a play where I had on the wrong costume and last night I actually failed to get to the theatre on time for the performance. After each of these dreams I awoke in a cold sweat and I am now convinced that my subconscious is trying to tell me something although I am in the dark as to what it is.

I am not sure that dreams mean very much, I have had some real humdingers in my time and all in vivid colour which came to nothing at all. Then I have had dreams which I did not understand which came true so as far as it goes the jury is out`!
Perhaps tonight dream will reveal all, I do hope so as I cannot think what worse scenario my brain could possibly create.

No comments:

Post a Comment