Wednesday 11 January 2012

"IT'S TOO DAMN QUIET CARRUTHERS."


I am willing to bet that just like “Play in again Sam.”no one actually ever said the above yet somehow it seems to sum up the atmosphere around here at the moment.
There is a feeling amongst those who live and work on the Estate that something is afoot, and I cannot help agreeing with them.

We had a visit from a friend for the Estate this afternoon who expressed a similar concern. He told me it felt like waiting for the axe to fall. I am convinced that the old jungle drums will be beating like mad before too long....we shall see.

Today has been quite and relaxed and so unlike the days before Christmas that I keep on wondering what I have forgotten to do. I baked the days loaves, did a little shopping and a little entertaining and the made a dinner of Pizza and salad. I had made the pizza base this morning while bread making so all I had to do was put on the topping and shove it in the oven, easy.

Pa says it is time I relaxed and I expect he is right and yet I always feel lost when I have nothing particular to do. On the other hand I am not the type who goes around looking for work so I suppose that makes me a bit contradictory. If tomorrow is fine I think I shall do a little work in the garden.

The raspberry canes need to be moved and the fig trees both need to be cut hard back as they make a great deal of growth each year. I have a couple of small damson trees to transplant and them there is the front garden which is in need of a bark mulch before the spring flowers begin to show through. There now I feel much better having decided that.

I used to think that I was the observant type but now I am not so sure. Yesterday Pa bough in some porridge oats ,nothing strange about that, except the legend on the box said Scott’s Porage Oats, I wonder when that happened. Perhaps it is the Scottish was of spelling porridge , it so perhaps they are getting ready for devolution! If anyone has any idea I wish they would enlighten me.

Twiggy has been enjoying the sunshine this afternoon and is now curled up on my bed fast asleep, that cat has the life of Riley, and there’s another thing, who the hell is Riley ?

No comments:

Post a Comment