Tuesday 24 January 2012

A LITTLE SPARKLE ON A DRAB DAY




The view was singularly uninspiring this morning, a heavy settled rain was clattering against the glass and in the lane large puddles of dirty water were collecting in the potholes, of which there are a great multitude.
My son bough a ray of sunshine and a cup of hot coffee and seemed remarkably cheerful all things considered. We chatted over our toast and I pondered afresh the vagaries of his employers.

I expect it was the dim light which made me feel like going back to bed
and for half an hour that is exactly what I did before I could be asked to start the day. By mid morning Pa was up and dressed and I made a batch of pancakes for his breakfast, still feeling lazy I cleared the kitchen and prepared some twice baked cheese soufflé for dinner before going out.

You must know that I had no wish at all to brave the rain but as we had no cream I had no choice as I needed some to finish the soufflé on their second baking. Well wrapped up against the rain I set off and wouldn't you know pit the first shop had only that dreadful Elmlea rubbish which is as much like fresh cream as I am like Marilyn Munroe! Onwards to the next store and my luck was in,job done I headed for home.

Stopping at the garden centre I picked up some more Christmas goods in the sale. Lots of beautiful decorations which had been five ,six and seven pounds each were on sale for fifty pence and I could not resist. They will spend almost a year in a dark cupboard before bursting forth to amaze the boys. The rain had by now turned to a fine drenching drizzle and as what little light there was began to fade I was glad for once to draw the curtains on the dismal scene.

My son awoke refreshed for a good sleep and we enjoyed our soufflé which Was served with salad Serrano ham and a tomato sauce for my son with lots of fresh crusty bread.
I really should have done some ironing today but I just could not be bothered,of course it will have to be done before long but I shall worry about that some another time.

For the umpteenth time I thought that I had lost my mobile phone, which is a pesky small one and is easy to overlook or misplace in a handbag. I scrabbled around cursing and muttering,I searched in the most unlikely places....not luck ….and was just about to call the garden centre to see if I had left it there when the blessed thing rang. Now at least I knew that it was in the house but the question was where?

More searching and more cursing followed until I decided to ask my neighbour to call me so that I could listen for the ringing sound. Stuffing my feet in to my furry boots I discovered the wretched thing stuck at the toe end of my boot,how it came to be there is a mystery. Pa arrived home to find me looking hot cross and dishevelled and asking why I had not answered my phone. History shall not record my reply!

Evening brought no noticeable change in the weather and poor Twiggy, who had sat disconsolately in the window all day continued to stare out in to the dark garden with the air of a prisoner. Let us hope for better weather tomorrow before poor old puss goes in to a decline and we run out of cat litter!

There is one bright spot in an otherwise dismal day. Black Dog ,may still be pottering about but thank the Gods the Hispaniola has sailed away, we hope for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment