Monday 9 January 2012

OUT !


Today has been one of those days when there are a myriad of errands to run and all in different places. There were birthday cards to post prescriptions to collect from the chemist, repeat prescription forms to be posted to the GP, a loaf to deliver and some shopping to do.

I had been attempting to make and appointment to see my Doctor bad after several hours of getting the engaged signal both this morning and on Friday last week I decided to drop the repeat prescription forms in myself and make the appointment in person., since my Doctors practice is over a mile and a half away I was not exactly delighted at this turn of events, however needs must.

After a lovely breakfast of fresh baked blueberry muffins I wrapped up warmly, I even put a woollen rug over my knees and set off for what turned out to be an epic journey.
I decided to drop of the loaf first as the garden centre was on my way to town and almost as soon as I arrived I met a friend, and while I am very fond of her it must be said that she could talk the hind legs off a donkey. My heart sank while my face registered delight at the meeting and almost an hour later she had filled me in on every thing that had occurred to all our mutual acquaintance since I last saw her....................I still had the loaf to deliver.

I sped off as soon as I could to find the loafs recipient, I found her, she was chatting to yet another gossip of high renown and by now my heart was in my boots. She proceeded to regal us with the same parcel of gossip to which I had so recently been obliged to listen and eventually it transpired that she to had met with the first gossipy lady and was simply spreading what she had heard, with a few notable additions as is always the way with gossip!

Having at last disengaged myself from these encumbrances I set out once more determined that nothing more would divert me from my purpose, a foolish notion as less than a hundred yards further on I found a lost child in floods of tears and no sign at all of an owner. The poor little lad was sobbing his heart out, his face was streaked with dirt and tears and he was very cold. I find lost children difficult these days. I once tried to help a child who was lost in a supermarket by taking it to customer services when its irate mama snatched her away and accused my loudly of attempting to abduct her offspring. Fortunately one of the assistants had seen the whole thing and was able to vouch for my good intentions.

With no one in sight I decided to take the child to the garden centre where there were lots of people who would be able to help and perhaps even the child's parents. I sat the little chap on my knee and wrapped the rug around him to warm him a little and returned from whence I came .Outside the store entrance the boys distraught parents were arguing with a member of staff and when they saw their son they were speechless with relief, so speechless that they grabbed the child, and marched off without a word ,taking my rug with them.

The member of staff with whom they had been arguing ran after them and retrieved my rug. It seemed he told me that the couple had been choosing plants for there garden and had disagreed about which of the sale plants to purchase. The child had simply became bored and had wandered off, out of the garden centre and had almost reached the main road by the time I found him. I was glad to get my rug back as without it my knees were becoming cold and I set off once again.

This time I reached the surgery without further incident, made my appointment ( the Doctor would not be able to see me until a week on Friday, perhaps if I had rung earlier!!!!!!!!) I handed in the forms and left without losing my temper,God knoweth how!

Thence to the supermarket at which point I realised that I had c=left home without picking up and money from the communal purse. After a moment of combined panic and fury I discovered that I had just enough in my own purse to by the goods I needed. There were only a few checkouts open and the queues were enormous, it was the last straw. Because the queues were so long it made things difficult for people who simply wished to pass to another aisle and I got used to shunting the buggy backwards and forwards to accommodate such people. One couple pushed at the back of the buggy and of course IO moved out of their way whereupon they coolly pushed into the queue in front of me and that was that.

I was so angry and was about to give the pair a piece of my mind when one of the assistants arrived and opened up another till exactly where I happened to be waiting. I confined myself to a rude gesture at the queue jumpers who would, if they had not pushed in front on me been the first at the newly opened check out. Lots of people had seen the incident and chortled away in a manner which must have annoyed the couple enormously!

I arrived home very late indeed and spent the next hour playing catch up , I did not even have time to share my news and adventures with the boys until we sat down to a dunner of ham and cheese omelettes with salad, there had not been time to prepare anything else.
There was plenty of new bread and butter and so no one minded at all.

The incidents which took place today ave left me wondering what happened to good manners however I shall say no more for fear of sounding like my own mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment