Tuesday 17 January 2012

THE WARDROBE AND THE ROBIN


Each day the frost seems to be thicker than the day before, I know I have been banging on about it all week but really it is so beautiful. We had a late start to the day as we often do on my sons first proper day off and it was ten thirty before we had assembled for a breakfast of toasted cheese for the boys and two nicely poached eggs on toast for me.

We were expecting a grocery delivery between twelve and one and a twelve thirty the van arrived. The young driver looking very harassed came to the door and explained that his on board computer had stopped working and he had no idea which bags of groceries were ours. From his demeanour I suspected that he had been on the receiving end of some choice words at his previous stops. He had to call the office and ask them to do a manual check on which was which.

The poor souls looked frozen and so we asked him, in for coffee and cookies while the office sorted things out and the relief on his face spoke volumes. It did not take too long to sort out the problems and with all our groceries safely delivered we sent him of his way with a bag of cookies and a jar on home made jam. I imagine that he will be very glad when today is over , poor soul.

In my bedroom there is a small room which has been used in the past as a junk store, a walk in wardrobe and has been an eyesore which I have been desperate to sort out. A few days ago I reorganised things and managed to keep a good half of the space clear except for a blanket chest under the window. This window looks out over the orchard and I have always felt that it would be nice to be able to sit in the open widow and look put across the orchard, especially at not when the badgers visit the garden. Having another open window in the room would also mean that in the very hot weather I would have a breeze blowing through the room.

Today I decided to fix a curtain across the storage part leaving a tidy little space in which to sit. As I worked away our tame robin sat in the ash tree singing his lovely song. He could see me very well and had the window been open I should have been able to touch him. I took a fee photographs as I am writing an article about robins for the ISCAG web page . I could not help thinking how much fun it will be in the early summer mornings to fed him and his mate meal worms through the window, and of other pleasures to come.

I had decided to do a pot roast of beef for dinner and while I was preparing this repast in the early afternoon my neighbour appeared at the widow exhibiting a gory fore finger and a rather rusty saw. We cleaned him up and made a pot of tea which we all enjoyed, he had sold some of my sons books and had for him a handsome cheque, a pleasant surprise and of course very welcome.

I left the bots chatting over their tea and biscuits and headed out in to the cold to test out the new battery on one of the buggies. The man had been in the morning to fit test batteries as it seemed that the old ones were not holding a charge. Cold weather can play havoc with electric motors such as ours. The buggy was much faster and seemed to be fine although it wile be few days before we know for sure if the problem is solved.

Our roast dinner was perfect for today, we had roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings and mushy peas, northern style with lashings of rich gravy made from the cooking liquid after which we were well stuffed.

There had been a small problem caused by our fox family and we were for a time unsure how to do a quick fix. You see the buggy's are kept under an Umbrella style motor bike shelter and somehow or other a fox had managed to rip its way in through the roof leaving the buggy’s exposed. “How do I know It was a fox?” I hear you ask, well you see he had been kind enough to leave his calling card on the buggy, so that we would know where to send the bill!

We patched it up temporarily with the tarpaulin we usually use to cover the garden furniture during the winter bit a new cover will have to be purchased P.D.Q!

All in all it has been quite an eventful day at Avis’s and now we are all ready for hot chocolate topped with fluffy pink and white marshmallows,and diets be damned!

No comments:

Post a Comment