Saturday 23 July 2011

THE FALL OF THE AXE


Today the long expected blow fell in the form of a letter form our Local Council informing us that our land lord has applied for planning permission to build two three bedroomed houses and car park space on what is at the moment my vegetable garden and orchard. Of course we shall fight but having only just won our campaign to save the churchyard I would have liked to have drawn breath before having to begin again.

What I find strange is that so much building is being considered in what is a conservation area of considerable historic interest and I suspect that if it were not for the fact that the land is owned by a Duke these applications would be thrown out neck and crop by the planning department.

Once again I shall have to bash the keys writing to all and sundry but if that is what it takes then so be it. I hope that the many contacts forged whilst stopping other similar protects in to the area will be of assistance in the new battle. This piece of land was the subject of a tussle earlier this year when the owner wanted to build a car park for a proposed hotel, you will know if you are a regular reader that the hotel was being converted from a large house without benefit of planning permission, as yet we are still awaiting the result of the local protest against this project. Oh well another day another dolore as they say.

Looking on the bright side I do feel a little better today and have managed to bake six dozen cherry shortbreads and I have six pounds of apple pulp in a jelly bag dripping into a large bowl. Tomorrow if all goes well I shall turn this bounty in to another batch of apple jelly, I must say it is pleasant to be back in the kitchen again. This time next year there may not be any apples so I shall make hay while the sun shines!

Early in the spring I installed a solitary bee house in a secluded part of the front garden and today I was delighted to see quite a few bees going in and out of the small holes. Each time a hole is filled the bee seals it up and then leaves her eggs to develop all alone .Several eggs are laid in each tube and it looks as if we shall have a full house very soon. This makes me very happy as I adore bees.
The cat Twiggy is also fascinated by the doings of these little creatures and has spent hours this afternoon watching them as they flew in and out of their nest holes. Curiosity caused the cat to flee the garden pursued by and angry bee, she never learns.

Tonight I do not have to cook ass e are having fish and chips for a change and I am rather glad as the days exertions have left me feeling very tired, it was kind of the boys to suggest this meal to give me a break and we all like fish and chips so it will be a treat.

July has still a week to run and I for one will be jolly glad the see the back of it for it has brought nothing but grief and aggravation for every one I know. Personally I have found it to be a complete bummer and on the world stage no one can say that it has been hunky dory.

I have just turned on the television and cannot believe what in happening in Norway , it is too awful to contemplate , it looks as if the random nutter has struck again and my heart goeout to the poor souls involved in the carnage. July as been a bloody awful month

No comments:

Post a Comment