Thursday 21 July 2011

A GRIM DAY DAY ALL ROUND


I write today while on a high caused by an overdose of cough medicine and the effect is certainly very odd. Last night desperate for sleep I glugged down about half a bottle of the wretched stuff and then topped up with another glug every hour or so and while I admit that the cough was less of a problem the sore throat was and is still appalling and the strange feeling of unreality and a sort of floating feeling is most disconcerting.

The groceries arrived earlier that planned this morning, why do they allocate time slots and then ignore them? At any rate the early arrival was most inconvenient and I would have given the driver a piece of my mind had he not been such a sweetie. My son and I managed (God knoweth how) to put everything away and I will wager that things will be turning up in strange places for weeks to come as neither of us were truly compos mentis.

I just do not know how much worse this can get, at the moment my temprature is 101 and one thing is certain, what ever this is it is definitely not a cold as I had first thought. My son is experiencing the same light headedness and sickening aching of all the muscles and his cough is if anything worse than my own. We have soldiered on trying desperately to keep going but unless there is a change for the better soon I for one will have to give up and take to my bed!

In the middle of all this ghastliness there is Pa who has been wonderful these past few days. He has helped with the chores were possible and has shouldered a good deal of the day to day tasks and I am so very grateful , what we would have done without him I can not say. It is the little things like folding up the laundry and putting it away. feeding the cat and generally tidying up and what is more he has kept his room immaculate,. Thanks to whichever God is responsible for this miracle, for miracle it is. In the midst of this misery to see him in charge, coping well and proud of himself is such a joy. He is his lovely, kind and thoughtful old self again, I dare not hope that it will last but for now it is a blessing for us all.

What an old misery I am at the moment I have had nothing but bad news to report for ages now and it is certainly difficult to be jolly under these circumstances. One nice thing that has happened today is the my son received in the post a photograph of the shuttle launch signed by Bill Nye.it is beautifully framed and now takes pride of place on his desk.
Perhaps ypu will remember last year I bought Pa a Slanket, a blanket with sleeves and he liked it so much that i recently ordered bought another for him and it arrived today I was very lucky because as it is not really the season for such things I got it for half price. I also bought for him a very large faux fur blanket again because he loved the one I bought for him last year, he does love to feel cosetted, as do we all.

He dislikes duvets and because of his disability finds getting in and out of bed troublesome so in the winter time he sleeps in a king size faux mink rug placed double on the bed which is easy for him to slip in and out of without tripping over sheets etc. With this arrangement and the slanket next to his skin he is cosy and snug and feels cosseted all night in or out of bed. When the pain is very bad he sleeps in a big soft armchair and again we find the rug and slancket the cosiest and most practical solution to what used to be a major problem and most important is most important of all, Pa loves the arrangement.

I have done very little baking of any sort this week but thanks to a little forward planning we had been able to eat quite well with home made soups and pies from the freezer and although tomorrow I must bake some bread the evening meal is to be cold meats and cheeses with salad so I am sure that I shall cope.

Oh blast it is the conservation group meeting tomorrow, I shall have to send my apologies I think.
I am sure that they will manage perfectly well without me, they are a very able group of people.
I have rambled on and occupied your time for quite long enough and it is time to go, just on more thing, with the earth shattering sneezes and the coughing arpeggios as they are I am considering forming an orchestra called perhaps The Philpnuemonia, what do you think. At the moment we are short of a lead wheezer in the wind section, percussion we have in spades.

No comments:

Post a Comment