Saturday 9 July 2011

IN THE KITCHEN WITH AVIE


I have just spent the entire day in the kitchen cooking up a storm and I have loved almost every minute of it. There were a few hairy moments as my cooker is still playing up, however I am coming to terms with its strange ways and this week apart from a malt loaf which resembled nothing so much as a house brick all has been well.

I decided to make a large batch of Hungarian chocolate biscuits, a delicious grown up chocolate cookie with a hint of freshly ground coffee. They are a bit of a pain to make and of course as everyone knows chocolate is the messiest cooking ingredient known to man. I have to psych myself up to make them but it is worth the bother I promise you.

HUNGARIAN CHOCOLATE BISCUITS
8oz butter
4oz caster sugar
8oz self raising flour
2oz cocoa
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence

Filling
2oz cocoa
3 table spoons of strong black coffee
2oz butter
2oz caster sugar

Cream the butter and sugar and the n work in the flour, cocoa and essence to make a soft dough. Divide in to walnut sized pieces and roll into balls, place on a greased baking sheet and then flatten with a fork dipped in water. Bake at 350oF/ 180oc for twelve minutes, leave for a couple of minutes and then lift carefully on to a wire rack to cool.

Filling
To make the filling put the cocoa and coffee in to a pan and heat together to make, a thick cream, do not worry about any lump . Take of the heat and add the sugar and butter and beat well to make a thick creamy filling then leave to cool. Sandwich the biscuits together with the filling and allow to set before serving or storing.

Remembering that I had promised my neighbours a lemon drizzle cake this week end I next set about the making of two of these delectable cakes. This has been proving tricky of late as my oven refuses to play ball. This time I made two loaf sized sponge cakes and these came out perfectly...phew! As soon as they were out of the oven I drenched them in a mixture made with four ounces of granulated sugar and the rind and juice of two lemons, I then breathed a huge sigh of relief and poured myself a beer, I really needed the beer by this time.

The sudden change in the weather has been playing havoc with my courgettes, they go yellow and drop off before they have made a good size, a nasty affliction as you may imagine. Today I decided to pick all the small ones before this happened again and with these I made a pasta dish, a favourite with my son, the recipe for which I believe I published last year but if any one would like it again please let me know.

My son returned from his game happier than I have seen him in weeks, I know that something is badly wrong as he has taken to eating chocolate again, he has been on a diet because of his hypertension which I am afraid he inherits from me. He also has my temper and I am truly worried as by my calculation an explosion is well overdue.
In spite of various worries it has been a pleasant week, we love to be together and always make the most of time when we are all at home. I love days like this and now I am tired but content, my little cat is curled up on the bed awaiting my attention so I had better not keep her waiting, good night to you all, and blessings lite upon you.

No comments:

Post a Comment