Sunday 31 July 2011

SUMMER SUNDAY IN THE GARDEN


I spent a wonderful day in the garden pottering about, a bit of weeding here, a little fruit picking there but mostly just enjoying the perfection of a summers day. I tried very hard not to think about the future of the garden I a large ask since we have now discovered that they also intend to alter the flower garden at the front of the house and that would be sacrilege. These two gardens have won prizes in the London in Bloom competition as being perfect cottage gardens, oh well such is life.

Tomorrow is the day we fire off the artillery in the form of a letter of objection complete with photographs and a petition of goodly size, this will we hope at least slow things down a little.
In the mean time Pa and I spread a pretty cloth on the garden table and treated ourselves to an afternoon tea of home made lemon drizzle cake and cookies and a nice large pot of Earl Grey tea. We were joined by our little cat and a pair of robins who cleared away any stray crumbs and at one point our tame robin hoped onto my shoulder to pick of a small green caterpillar foolish enough to show himself in the presence of such a voracious pair. The cat made lazy by the hot sun watched with an air of disinterest for a few moments and then went to sleep, and so did Pa.

The sound of crickets and grasshoppers was louder than ever and every where there were bees and butterflies doing a sterling job of pollinating my runner beans and courgettes. I wish that you could see just how lovely the garden is , surrounded by tall trees and scented by many flowers. The sunflowers opened up today following the path of the sun with their bright faces and the bees like little lovers kept them company all through the afternoon.

This is my sons last night shift for a week and tomorrow he begins his week off, I have seldom seen him so tired, the past weeks have been tough and I shall be very
glad whenen he is safely away on his annual trip to Avebury, he needs to recharge his batteries and there is no better place for the purpose. I have promised him a breakfast of waffles with hot jam sauce tomorrow, this is becoming a tradition, it is a bit fiddly but we all love them so it is well worth the trouble it takes to make them.

Yesterday my food mixer blew up, this is the third in less than a year, I am very hard on my kitchen aides as there are in daily use. I suppose that I need to buy catering standard in the future as domestic ones can not take the strain. Pa popped out yesterday and picked one up from a local shop to tide me over and this was just as well as I had promised him pancakes for breakfast this morning. Once upon a time I did such things with a hand whisk but the advance of arthritis means that this is no longer possible......take my advice folks, do not get old, its a pain just about every where!

Dinner tonight was a pasta dish of which my son is very fond, I must have read his mind as he tells me that he spent all night hoping that it would be a pasta meal tonight, his face really lit up when I told him what I had decided. He is so appreciative of everything that is done for him that is is a pleasure to please him,I expect that by now any one who reads my blog can tell how loved he is.
I feel so lucky to have him for my son especially since I spent many years thinking that I could not have children,so you see I have had lots of good luck in my life.

Now that the day is over I am sitting at my desk in the window of my room watching the geese make their way to their night time roost on the river, I am never fast enough to catch this on camera but I shall keep on trying because I should love you to see how beautiful they are and how close to my window their flight path is. Dusk will bring out the bats tonight as it is warm and quite still, twiggy watches them from my window before curling yo in the magazine basket and falling fast asleep as I hope soon to do. Good night to all, I wish you fair weather and a happy week to come. X

No comments:

Post a Comment