Wednesday 20 July 2011

HALT,WHO GOES THERE?


Picture if you can the windy battlements of Elsinore,it is the dead of night, all should be quiet...but all is not quiet. From a darkened chamber groaning can be heard and from another dim lit room a second groan ,almost in answer to the first. Disturbed by the eerie sounds a lone figure mounts the steps half fearful, half curious, slowly step by tremblous step he nears the sharp turning,what could it be that waits around the corner. Another step and he gains the top, all is quiet there is no one there, but wait there is a faint creak and a sliver of light, a door is opening, he feels a twinge of fear. Oh God another creak and a sudden flash of light and suddenly two ghastly figures appear, both doubled up and both with the same
rattling cough, there is a pause and then all three protagonists jump ever so slightly out of their skins!

No folks not the opening scene of Hamlet, this scenario took place last night at the top of our stairs.
What an appalling night, the worst yet. I could not sleep because I coughing constantly and my throat was ablaze. My son could not sleep as he was similarly afflicted and Pa could not sleep because of all the coughing and spluttering and so ,bless him he came to see if we were all right. How was he to know that we were both about to open our bedroom doors and if it comes to that how were we to know that he was lurking on the stairs.

Wide awake and still suffering from shock I made coffee and after drinking this welcome brew we returned to our respective chambers of torment and another vain attempt at sleep. From that time until morning it was exactly like the changing of the guard, First I got up, then my son got up we took it in turns to make the drinks until at a round seven in the morning I finally fell asleep....we all finally fell asleep and not one of us surfaced until nine thirty. What a sorry looking crew we were, hair standing on end from all the tossing and turning, faces pale,noses red and still spluttering.

Although I can not conceive of this affliction becoming worse it must be faced that so far every day has brought a worsening of the symptoms and often some new and exciting ones to boot. Upstairs the pervasive smell of eucalyptus oil is almost overpowering and here and there bottles of cough mixture and sticky spoons are to be seen.. Yesterday much needed supplies of Victory V lozenges and dequacaine were dropped outside the door, the black cross painted there tells all to stay away as we are in the grip of a plague.

Whatever this affliction is the shivering and the sweating are a real menace, I used a total of seven nighties last night after which I gave up and wrapped myself in a towel. All semblance of normality has ceased and today even I have had to admit defeat, nowzwork at all has been done, woe woe and thrice woe, the laundry baskets are overflowing and we are running out of dry clothes.
Even if I could find the energy to cook no one is in a fit state to eat, hot drinks only is the order of the day.

It is three in the afternoon and already I am dreading the return of night with its attendant horrors , so much fruit tea was drunk last night that this morning breakfast consisted of coffee and imodeum all round and the landing has been busier than ever. What horrors wait in store for us tonight I can not imagine nor what tomorrow will bring. Actually tomorrow is bringing a grocery delivery so at least one of us will have to drag our selves to the door ,woe ,woe and thrice woe, I will wager that I draw the short straw. I wonder how one goes about buying shares in Kleenex .

No comments:

Post a Comment