Sunday 23 October 2011

A DAY IN BED


In the middle of this busy time I find myself confined to bed and in considerable pain. All seemed well this morning and after toast, coffee and a chat with my son I woke Pa with a cup of tea and made a breakfast of kippers with bread and butter. It was during breakfast that the pain came out of nowhere and I knew at once that I was in for a bad day. I just about managed to clear the kitchen before going to my room to lie down.

I know from experience that when kidney stones start to travel the only thing to do is to grab a hot water bottle, lei still and hope that the pain stops sooner ranter than later. It is the sort of pain that numbs the mind, it seems to occupy every nerve and fibre of the body, I was told last time it is in hospital that it is the worst pain there is. While I do not know if that is true It is certainly worse than giving birth without a doubt.

By mid afternoon thank the Gods the pain had eased sufficiently to allow my to make a hot drink for myself and for Pa. He suffers very much when I am unwell as he wants to help and is unable, he is not safe with hot kettles but he managed to sort out the laundry bless him.
I returned to bed with a fresh hot water bottle and gradually the pain drained away. I do not like to speak too soon but it seems that this time I have been lucky, sometimes the pain can go on for days.
I have an appointment with my urologist next Friday at which time I hope to learn the date of my referral for treatment, I do hope the it will be soon.

My son woke early today and insisted that we had take away tonight for which I am very grateful as cooking at the moment cooking is beyond my powers, with luck though I shall be better tomorrow, I do hope so.

The new cookies went down well with my sons friends at work so they will be added to my repertoire and may feature in this years Christmas collection, there are still quite a few new recipes to try yet so we shall see.

One thing that today has made me realise s that it is no use becoming stressed about being behind with my work, I always put off taking a rest until this or that job is done, the trouble is there is always another job following on and so the rest never comes. Today has made me stop and be still and has warned me in n uncertain terms that I need to do a little less in order to stay on my feet to the finish.

Next Friday is also an important meeting of the conservation group, that last before we meet our MP on the following Friday. After that I really must take some time off to wrap gifts, write cards and bake cakes,all the lovely family rituals of Christmas which are so special to us and which mark off the days for us better than any advent calender could.

Tomorrow starts my sons week off and I hope that this time we shall all be well enough to enjoy it, our time together is precious to us all. I have promised my son his favourite dinner meal this week as he has been confined to soups and soft foods for over a week, and if all is well with me tomorrow waffles for breakfast, wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment