Thursday 13 October 2011

THE QUIET LIFE


Cannot describe to you the joy of waking this morning with the knowledge that I would not have to be charging about opening windows at some ungodly hour . To be able to use the bathroom without encountering a paint smeared face peering through the window and having to ask the face if would mind absenting itself while I use the loo., was absolute bliss!

Another great improvement is to be able to close the doors and windows again after sitting in a draught all this week and most of last. To begin with the weather was hot and things were hunky dory but once the temperature dropped and the wind picked up it became a menace which has left me with a dreadful earache and my son with neuralgia, his face is swollen and he is in considerable pain.

We sat in our warm kitchen with the door shut and ate a breakfast of fresh baked blueberry muffins, it was a lovely lazy meal. Today is a cleaning day and on the weeks when my son is not sleeping during the day I give the whole top floor a good going over, Hoovers and steamers are too noisy to use when he is trying to sleep and I am usually far too tired to do the job in the evening after he has gone off to work.

Two weeks ago I moved all the bathroom furniture about to make more space for Pa, he needs a chair of course and room to get about with his walking aids, the result looks good and is also easier to keep tidy which with two men in the house is well nigh impossible. I am never surprised when we lose the world cup, football or rugby when I consider how bad the men folks aim is when attempting to get their dirty togs in to the laundry basket or hitting the waste bin with their bits of rubbish. Judging by the amount which I find on the floor each day I would say that it seems to be a genetic weakness in the male of the species. Notice however how well the women’s football team is doing...I rest my case!

Leaving the bathroom sparkling I put a large piece of rolled brisket on to pot roast for dinner tonight, it needs a long slow cooking time and as Pa had a hospital appointment at 3.45 pm it was a perfect choice for today as the meat will stay hot without spoiling and the Yorkshire puddings do not take long to do.

Pa returned with his new calliper which we hope will allow him to walk with more ease, I expect it will take time to get used to but it seems to be a vast improvement on the previous instruments of torture supplied by the N.H.S due in part to a mix up as to what he actually needed.

Today we have had true autumn weather soft and faintly misty , the air still and scented with the spice of fallen leaves and ripe fruit. In the garden the birds have been busy all day and the squirrels too have been busy storing away supplies for the winter. The cat Twiggy has spent the day in leisurely fashion strolling around her domain with the air of a landowner taking stock of her possessions just occasionally stopping to chew a blade of grass of to roll luxuriously in a dusty patch. High in her tree house later in the day she slept for an hour or so while small birds flitted around her without fear, I observed that she often had one eye open so it is to be hoped that the birds know their business.

Now that the day is over and we are all well fed and sleepy she will choose how is to be favoured by her presence tonight, my son and I are still in need of pain relief for our respective problems but at least with luck the tablets will ensure a good nights sleep.

The peace and calm of today was exactly what we all needed and like the cat just pottering about in a relaxed fashion has been the way we spent the day. And now for a hot bath and a soft bed, a goodnight every one , sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment