Monday 31 October 2011

MONDAY WITH BELLS ON


Monday started with a bang, the picture which hangs above my bed fell off, I was lucky it did not do any damage. Here is the odd thing, the hook which it hangs from was still in place and it could not have slid off so I am force to conclude that some one somewhere is trying to tell me something.

We breakfasted in haste upon poached eggs on toast as my son had an appointment with the dentist, such visits are always fraught and the out come is usually propitious only for the dentist who of course makes money. Luckily there is only a filling to worry about, and that will have to wait until my son returns from his trip to Derbyshire next week.

The loaves having been baked I set out to deliver large twist to my friend and to look at the Christmas display at the garden centre, they are adding new things all the time and it is the best it has been for years. Today I managed to get out without buying anything, and trundled home through a deep carpet of fallen Lime leaves of the riches gold.

I bit the bullet and decided to clear the airing cupboard , I set up the ironing table with many a groan and shirt after shirt after shirt was ironed and hung in the wardrobe. I needed to isolate the things which my son wishes to take on holiday . Failure to do this can mean hectic last minute washing and ironing , once bitten and all that!

During his holiday my son hopes to work on his new book but I have begged him to rest as much as possible he really does need to rest. Castleton at this time of year is beautiful, the village is lit for Christmas, every house and every shop has a Christmas tree outside and the bright colours are a sharp contrast pt the wide grey sky and the hills seared to sepia by the cold . Mam Tor black against the evening sky is a wonder to behold. Just a few mile away the great dams of Lady bower and Derwent reflect the Autumn colour of the surrounding trees which are filled with birds so of which are so tame that they will eat from your hands.

Half way through the ironing we had a visitor and I was obliged to switch off the iron and make some tea, as you may imagine I was deeply grieved......however I put a good face on things as I handed round the cookies. Our guest left at four and no sooner l=had he left than we received another visitor, Luckily I had already made the soup for dinner so I had time to entertain our new guest,

It was unfortunate that I had not time to finish the ironing and it was with regret.............that I packed the ironing board away and emptied the steam iron. The soup was good tonight, I had added some sweet potato and coriander to my usual mix of vegetables for a golden soup and with granary bread if was perfect for tonight.As soon as it became dark we lit our pumpkin lamp and put it in the window to show all the local young witches that we were ready to recieve them.

As we were washing up our first trick or treaters arrived, two splendid young witches complete with long frocks and grey hair . They had the good sense to bring the head witch (mum) along and we handed around the bowl of assorted sweeties and the chocolate chip cookies and they went away delighted. It is such fun to have these little people call and they work so hard on their outfits that a few sweets seems little enough in payment for all the fun.

I understand that in The U.S.A. The whole Halloween thing is a big occasion, here it is quite a new thing but as the old penny for the Guy tradition is fading this new one is taking its place.
Dressing up is fun, long may it continue. Oh yes, if anyone needs a Grim Reaper Robe for next year I have one!

Soon my son will leave for work and I shall see Pa safely bathed and then its of to bed for me.
Before I forget the falling picture is not the only odd occurrence today, Pa has heard a strange noise coming from upstairs when there was no one in the house and the cat, who normally spends all after noon and half the night in my room is refusing to go upstairs at all. Attempts to make her climb the stairs have resulted in hissing and spitting until ffinally with her fur standing on end she bolted through the front door and will not return ,not even for a bowl of chicken....................odd, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment