Sunday 2 October 2011

THE WONDERFUL, THE WISE AND THE SERIOUSLY WIERD


On Sunday it is my normal practice to visit our local garden centre,it is such fun to look at all the lovely plants and to occasionally purchase a few bulbs say, or a packet of seeds. Today however the experience was to say the least surreal. Sweltering with the heat I entered the large covered area and found myself in a forest of fir trees, fake snow and twinkling lights, it was rather like finding myself in Narnia...until that is the Christmas carols began .

I sat in the middle of a mountain of coy looking plastic squirrels and sedate robins and the air was filled with glitter that had I imagine become detached from some of the more leary decorations. Granted I am the sort of irritating individual that prepares early for Christmas but even for me this was just too much and I hastened back in to the sunshine and headed for home sparkling as I went, hours later I still give the appearance of one who intends to spend the night clubbing.

Various unforeseen circumstances have prevented me from tackling the ironing this week not the least of which has been the heat. The situation has reached crisis point as once again the airing cupboard is dangerously full , added to which certain garments are becoming scarce.
Having spent ,most of yesterday in a hot kitchen I did not relish the prospect of spending all afternoon in the company of a steam iron and so I decided to be wise and to do the bare minimum necessary...this amounted to an hours work and by the time I had finished I was on the verge of collapse.

My shady garden called to me and at last with a relatively clear conscience I repaired to a seat under the apple tree to laze away the afternoon with a book. Twiggy our cat had draped herself gracefully along a branch in the shade one eye open the better to observe the comings and goings of a family of mice who have been busy laying up a store of cherry pits and damson stones for winter . They were quite safe as Madam was much to hot and bothered to chase them.
I too watched these tiny creatures hurrying about their business,they are a a source of wonder to me,so very small yet so full of life. Never truly still for a moment, even when they are resting they are all a quiver as if they are aware that their life is very short and they must make the best use of every moment or ,perhaps, as if they are afraid to stop. I watched a very small mouse eating a raspberry with great enjoyment, these mice ate almost all of my redcurrants again this year and yet watching this tiny creature eating with such relish I cannot grudge them a treat;after all there is plenty in the garden to go around.

Mid afternoon a gentle breeze began to ruffle the leaves and the pungent whiff of barbecue lighter fluid assaulted my nostrils. Why in God's name do people enjoy standing over a smouldering fire in sweltering weather doing appalling things to beef burgers, sausages, steaks and trout? Why can they not make do with a salad or a normal Sunday lunch?
I do not agree with the smoking ban in Public Houses because people do not have to go there but if smoking is banned in such places then the filling of ones neighbours home with the foul reek of parafine and causing the closing of window in hot weather should also be banned. After all is does cause a nuisance....yes I know I am an old grouch! Enough said.

Our evening meal was home made beef burgers with caramelised onions and a big salad and I cooked them on the griddle indoors too. We had iced cream for afters and lots of sarsaparilla to drink....I avoided the gin today as I had a headache.

I shall be relieved when the weather cools a little as it has been almost impossible to sleep these past nights even with a fan in every room, I am a northern lass and have been used to moorland breezes cool and fresh. I love the sun shine but I do find intense heat oppressive.

Next week will be a busy one for me and it could be a decisive one for both me and the kitchen garden, I am not particularly nervous as I know that I am in the right, however having to persuade others that this is the case may prove difficult. Getting others to voice their views can also be difficult but as I pointed out one of our neighbours “qui tacet conentire” silence denotes consent!
I knew that studying Latin would come in handy one day. Thanks Mr Buss.

No comments:

Post a Comment