Tuesday 11 October 2011

OLD FREINDS AND NEW AT THE CAFE AVIE


We managed a lovely long lie in in spite of Pa's hospital appointment and our breakfast of piklets with maple syrup and cream was a merry meal, during which a nice young man appeared to finish the decorating. We asked him to join us for breakfast but he seemed a little shy and said that he did not want to intrude,

With breakfast over I baked the days bread and washed the dishes,a knock at the door proved to be a regular breakfast visitor for whom I had saved some of yesterdays potato cakes. With coffee on the go I asked to young decorator if he would like to join our other guest and he sniffed the air appreciatively and said that he would love to.

They ate heartily and finished of with some cookies both men were decorators by proffession and so they rattled away happily as they ate, and my son came down stairs to join them. There followed a spirited discussion on the short comings of the Government and a general critique on the arrant stupidity of our maintenance manager, they had a lot to talk about.

As they chatted I made another pot of coffee and labelled the latest batch of preserves then off they went back to their respective employment and I to mine.
Pa arrived home from the hospital with a good report, a rare event which made my day I made him a cup of tea and then set out pt delivery a loaf to a friend at the garden centre.

I always enjoy looking around especially at this time of year when the Christmas display is on. Each year I spend hours looking at all the lovely things, today They had the most amazing carved wooded tree lit from inside with tiny lights, it was beautifully made and I did so want to buy it,but we already have so many decorations that it would have been too self indulgent, I was good for once and resisted the temptation.

On my return home I turned the corner of the path at my usual speed and ran straight into a large can of paint...whoops! It had not been there when I left and it turned out that Pa had moved it to allow himself space to bring in the recycle boxes. I really must learn to slow down on the corner but you know what they say about women drivers... in my case it is all too true. We cleared up the mess by scraping up the gravel and sealing up the pebbles and paint in an old blood fish and bonemeal container and all seems to be well .

I popped the kettle on to make after noon tea and no sooner had the water hit the pot that another visitor arrived, I think this one has a crystal ball as he never fails to appear when I brew some Yorkshire tea, how else would he know. The decorator joined us and it was tea and biscuits all round after which the young man tidied up his paints and ladders and left for the day with a jar of elderberry jelly and a fresh cottage loaf, good workers are worth the looking after I always say.

Throughout the afternoon people drifted in and out, the teapot never had a chance to cool down and the cookie jar full this morning was down to the lastdozen or so.
I had done so much entertaining that have done precious little else all day and yet it has been a relaxed and happy day, what could be better than a house full of friends and after the strain of these last few weeks I welcome a break from routine.

The Café Avie was not quite finished for the day and a large toad in the hole with baked beans constituted our evening meal with a slice of apple cake for afters, a real taste of Autumn.

Tonight is Fright Night when we all huddle around the television in my bedroom eating jelly beans and watching a horror film or two. This is a long established tradition recently reinstated after a lapse of a couple of years due to the constraints of time. We decided that family time was much more important that the other things we had to do so break out the jelly beans and open the popcorn tonight we meet “The Mummy”....eeeeeeeek!

No comments:

Post a Comment