Monday 24 October 2011

WINTER QUARTERS CAT STLYE


There as been a decided chill in the air these past few nights and it has caused my little cat to visit her old winter haunts. Since her arrival some six years ago she has located most of the warm quiet places beloved of a cats during the winter months. Most of these I know but there is at least one whose location remains a mystery.
From time to time Twiggy disappears without a trace, we know that she is in the house somewhere but that is all we know. I seems that she has found a very secret location and each year we are baffled as to where she goes for such long periods of time.

I have known cats to roost in some odd places, and with some odd habits ,mind you I have owned some odd cats. There was Truffles who insisted upon having her kittens in the airing cupboard, nowhere else would do and she would wear down my resolve that she should give birth in a nice well padded cardboard box by howling like a banshee until I gave in. Her silver tabby kittens always found good homes .
Then there was T. C.a cat of great character who likes to sleep so close to the fire that he usually sported a charred patch or two about the fur.

There was Bogey, the smallest black cat you ever saw with a permanently cross expression, she stalked and caught pheasants the remains of which were often to be found in her favourite roost, the boot cupboard.
Smoky Joe, a one eyed grey cat with a piratical air who slept on top of the wardrobe and was terrified of spiders.

Thomas, darling Thomas, the most handsome, intelligent,lordly tiger tabby cat you ever saw. He was a gardeners cat first last and always, he loved the potting shed and a warm greenhouse in the winter and in the summer time he slept in a tree or an open window, he also had a penchant for snuggling down under the bed clothes on very cold nights.

Snuffy a cream Persian slept curled up around my head like a Davy Crockett hat, he could never seem to get close enough and would sit on my chest stroking my face for hours at a time if I was unwell I still miss my gorgeous Snuffy cat.

Guinness, a black cat with a white head of course enjoyed playing with our baby owls and missed them when they were returned to the wild. There were many others all different and all much loved. But I digress, I was going to tell you about Twiggiest latest new roost. I recently purchased a pair of lovely Terra cotta curtains with matching voiles and at night I light a small lamp behind them in a corner of the window, the glow this makes looks very cosy. On the window sill I placed so old Terra cotta bits and pieces, an old Roman oil burner, an old pot or two and the effect was perfect. Twiggy however thought otherwise and on discovering the cosy spot behind the curtains scufted off the ornaments in a fit of irritation and now spend hours there each day . The effect is still pleasing but the effect upon the artefacts in question has not been good: Note to self buy some araldite!

My son saw his doctor today and apart from referring him to the dentist he is unhappy about his high blood pressure and has exhorted him to eschew stressful situations....some hope... and to rest more. He agrees with me that my son is exhausted and that eventually something will have to give. These words of warning/ advise were given with a few choice remarks about my sons employers. Not so choice however as my own words on the subject!

I am still feeling rather fragile after yesterdays episode and it will be a day of two before I shall feel safe again but at least today the pain is bearable thank the Gods.

Diner tonight was a mixed grill featuring panchetta, miniature Cumberland rings, eggs, mushrooms, cheese and my special tomato sauce. I whipped up a few dozen Staffordshire oatcakes to go with the meal as I did not get up early enough to make bread today. My kind son stopped off in town on his way home and picked up some crumpets and English muffins. After giving me two cups of coffee in bed he made breakfast for us all, tired as he was. He is so thoughtful, gentle and kind. He is also strong, stubborn, brave and extremely intelligent, yes I know that as his mother I could be a trifle biased, even so it happens to be true. He makes me proud every day of his life, and every day of my life I worry about him> If there are any guardian angels out there with a little spare time keep him safe for me, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment