Thursday 6 October 2011

A RAGING CALM


After the turmoil of the past few weeks today has been unbelievably quiet and stressed as I was from yesterdays fracas I decided to give myself an easy day. Bread was needed but that is quite a pleasant task and afterwards Pa and I had our breakfast of pancakes together in perfect peace.

Ni ether of us felt much like work and so Pa played around with his computer for a while and I went out for a ride in the fresh air. I visited the garden centre and today the Christmas display did not seem so odd as it had in the sweltering heat of last week. Although it is by no means finished the decorations on sale are some of the best I have seen there in years and for once the prices seemed reasonable too. I could not resist a sweet little garland of cream wooden hearts and stars for Just £3.99 ans two larger hearts in the same material foe £2.99, these are for my bedroom.

Every year we buy a few new ornaments, not only to replace damaged ones but to remind us of each Christmas that we are together. Very room in the house is decorated from the front door to the loo. We love Christmas. Some of the decorations on our tree were brought for me by my father when I was very young, I have never forgotten the excitement of opening the box to find twenty four beautiful shining glass baubles, I thought that they were wonderful. There are only three of them left now but I treasure them still and every year they appear in pride of place on the tree and are then packed oh so carefully away after Christmas.

How it rained last night, the noise was so loud that it woke me and I went all around the house closing the windows to prevent the rain from coming in. The wind raged through the trees stripping away the glorious golden leaves which stuck fast to the windows as I watched.

That has been the tenner of the day calm within and raging without as the wind increased during the afternoon. Windy weather always makes our little cat frisk about and become playful, she was to be seen chasing leaves in the garden and trying to catch the spiralling sycamore seeds as the whirled down in their hundreds from the trees. Exhausted at last she flopped down among the catnip for a nap in the sunshine and protected from the wind by our shrubbery.

I thought that sausages and mash would be appropriate for dinner and so it was, he Cumberland rings were juicy and the mashed potato warming on a chilly evening. We can again return to the autumn menus which we were enjoying before the hot spell, stews, pies and thick rich soups.

It has been a lovely day, no worries, no disturbances and no noise, it has been a long time since we had such a day. Now that the dry spell ha broken I planted a box of pansies in the front garden as a pledge to spring, by April they will, I hope make a fine show among the forget-me-nots and pulmonarias. I think I shall make cocoa tonight for Pa and I before we settle down for the night and perhaps puss will sleep on the bed again mow that the weather has turned colder. Winter has its pleasures too.

No comments:

Post a Comment