Saturday 1 October 2011

OCTOBER BLUE




I opened my curtains this morning to be greeted by a rising mist in the fields across the lane, it's top gilded by the morning sun in such a way as con only happen on an Autumn morning.
My joy increased when I remembered that it was Saturday which meant no decorators, I mad coffee for my son and I and went back to bed to enjoy my first proper lie in this week.

I came down to earth with a bump when P a proved well nigh impossible to wake, we called, we cajoled, we threatened vengeance all to not avail, I decided to get on with breakfast any way and by the time my son and I had eaten four pancakes each the old.....I mean Pa was awake and ready to eat. We ate in the kitchen with all the windows and the door wind open and we were still far too hot. Before we had finished our meal my sons friends began to arrive for the \Saturday game and so of course I made pancakes for them too, it was a lovely start to the day.

Breakfast over I set about baking a batch of cookies, I had intended to try a new recipe today but having received a request for date and walnut shorties What could I do but oblige. Five dozen cookies later and very,very hot indeed I went out to the garden for half an hour to cool off....I now have twelve mozzie bites to prove it...bum the gin and tonic did not work. I shall keep that to myself however since today Pa treated me to a large bottle of my favourite gin, medicinal of course,now don't grass me up please3!

Back in the kitchen I made two luscious lemon drizzle cakes, we are to be inundated with visitors next week so I thought it best to lay in a good supply of viands. Every one is aware of how hot it was today so I will not dwell upon my sufferings in a hot kitchen, as soon as the sun was over the yard arm I helped myself to a large G and T and then another and then I felt much better.

Earlier this week I made a purchase with which I am very pleased, having seen some lovely chenille curtains I really wanted a pair for my bedroom. The green velvet ones I have at the moment are thirty years old and once belonged to my mother. Over the years they have fade to a silvery green but how I longed for a pair of rich terra cotta curtains to match my Autumn patchwork quilt. I decided to have a rummage through e.bay and found a pair, brand new and exactly the right size for six pounds forty five pence and with free delivery, my son was suspicious but I thought I would try my luck. They have arrived and they are gorgeous, exactly like the ones in Homebase selling for seventy five pounds. Rich terracotta is a lovely shade for winter and I also picked up two voile panels for eight pounds, together they cast a wonderful glow, I cannot believe my luck.

Pa treated us to takeaway tonight as I had spent most of the day baking, we chose pizza and I made some dips, altogether it was a real treat. While we waited for the pizza delivery we played three games of quoits, first to a hindered to win and I did....twice, the boys are furious.

I am told that it will be hotter than ever tomorrow, I have some ironing to do bit I shall only do the bare essentials and then I shall sit in the garden swing with my little cat, a glass of iced lemonade and my copy of wind in the willows, could anything be more perfect?

No comments:

Post a Comment