Wednesday 12 October 2011

A DAY TO REMEMBER



This morning as we sat at breakfast the post arrived with an item which caused so much excitement that I have still to calm down. The proof copy of my son's first book “One False Step” which we were not expecting for a week of so turned up and really made my day.

The book has been on sale as a download for a couple of weeks but for an old fogey like me to actually have a copy of a book written by my son is truly thrilling. In a few days time the book will go on sale, this is step one of his plan to kick his liberty taking employer into touch and for me that day cannot come too soon.

He works long hours filled with almost impossible deadlines made more difficult by the rock bottom moral of most of the employees. My son heads a team of brilliant dedicated men and women who in spite of everything give 100% every time. The work is often difficult and exacting as even a small mistake can cause chaos.

There is among employers generally the attitude that as times are hard they may treat their workforce with a take it or leave it attitude. This is short sighted as these days companies need the loyalty of their staff to survive the competition. They should not be surprised if their long suffering staff tell them to shove it! Hasten the day!

I should be glad if could leave before he suffers some lasting damage from the near impossible work load he deals with night after night, stress is a killer and in the past year he has suffered from hypertension and that causes me great concern. I would worry if the company he worked for actually valued the sterling work he performs, but as often happens this is not the case.

Back to our celebrations, we had a guest at breakfast this morning, we were joined by Ben, the young man who is decorating the house. He is a true craftsman, unlike the dreadful crew that were here a couple of weeks ago. He is polite and knows his job well , this is his last day with us and we shall miss his cheery company. He joined in the celebrations and was pleased with the book, he and my son have got on well as they seem to have interests in common.

How I wished that I had arranged a special meal for tonight to celebrate but chicken in the pot had been decided upon last night and so chicken in the pot we had. I added to the root vegetables some of our own sweet potatoes and half of a home grown butternut squash, seasoned and flavoured with herbs from the garden and a big spoonful of apple and thyme jelly it was a lovely meal after all . Anything with chicken in it pleases my son..

We toasted his book launch in bilberry brandy, on of this years special brews. Book two is already in the planning stage and will be written on his next retreat in November. He is going to visit our old home county, how I wish I could see those hills again, sUmmer or winter they are beautiful and I miss the fresh clean air so much.

Nothing today however can dampen my happiness and to see my dear son so happy means everything to me, I can say with prefect honesty that he has never given me any reason not to be the proudest mum in the world, he has qualities which make him both special and unusual. It is a pity that he is much too modest to realise what a remarkable young man he really is.

Now I had better shut up before I bore you all to death with this eulogy, if he ever reads this he will hate it and I shall be told off in no uncertain terms, so don't grass me up...please!

No comments:

Post a Comment