Saturday 15 October 2011

LOVELY AUTUMN


The glorious weather continues and how my little cat has revelled in the sunshine today.
Before I could join her in the garden I had much to do as today was a baking day. My poor boy is no better and I shall be very glad when I can get him to the doctor, he is refusing to see any one else, silly boy. His jaw and the whole left side of his face is is sore that he is finding it difficult to eat so I made some very soft pancakes for breakfast and he managed to eat a couple.

I wanted to try out a new cookie recipe today , cinnamon spice with caramel , I had my doubts about the recipe but as always I tried it by the book first. I discovered, not for the first time that although the recipe looked good the person who complied the book had obviously not tried out the recipes first and as a result it soon became necessary to ad lib.

The resulting cookies were quite nice but frankly not to my usual standard and having used the recipe I can see what will be needed to make them so much nicer next time. The recipe was also totally wrong as to the number of cookies the amount of ingredients would make. I doubled the mixture and still did not make as many as the recipe claimed for half the ingredients.

Next on the agenda were two large ginger cakes, these are to be added to a special hamper which I am putting together for two recently married friends. They have just moved in to a new house and this will be in the nature of a house warming gift..

With the cakes done I was free and out I went to enjoy the garden, I recently purchased a new robin box and I put it in place on the old wall hidden among the ivy , that makes three new boxes this year and \I hope the birds enjoy their new homes. Our old robin box is becoming fragile wit age, it has been to home of more young birds that=n I can remember. Our own tame robin was born in the old box two summers ago, I have left the old one in place and located the new beside it, my robin watched the whole process with great interest, he s a dear little bird, trusting and so affectionate that today he pulled a caterpillar from my hair and ate it while sitting on my shoulder,this is a favourite trick of his.

Next I treated myself to one of the greatest pleasures of the season, A great big smoky bonfire of leaves swept from the paths. Nothing compares with the smell of such a bonfire and the residue scattered on the garden is good for the soil. Some one once told; me that a bonfire of leave lit among fruit trees deterred the moth larvae which eat the apples in summertime. I do not know how much truth there is in those old tales but it is a good excuse to indulge myself for once.

Foxy came out to see what was going on and my little cat watched from her tree house so as you see I was not short of company even though pa had gone shopping and my son was in hos room resting. I hated goi8ng indoors again but duty called and I had a meal to prepare.
For my son I made some rich tomato and roast vegetable soup which I served with sift new bread and butter. He managed to eat this meal I am happy to say, Pa and I had oxtail stew and as my son dislikes oxtail he did not feel that he was missing out on anything he liked.

After dinner I strolled into the orchard once more,it was dark and very still. The smell of wood smoke and burning leaves still lingered under the trees and the last few bright sparks twinkled as they curled around the edges of the last few unburned leaves. In spite of the coolness of the evening a few bats flitted here and there under the trees,looking down I realised that Twiggy was standing beside me ,every bit as absorbed by the dying fire as I had been. I reached down to stroke her pretty fur and then the two of us strolled companionably back up the grassy path to the warmth and light of the kitchen.

Now as I write she is sitting on ,my desk curled up around a pencil pot, I know that she is not asleep as every now and then she opens one eye to see if I am ready to give her a cuddle, she really is a dear little mortal.

I shall make some hot chocolate for the boys and then it will be time for a bath and bed. I do hope my son gets some sleep tonight and that tomorrow he will feel better,he too is very dear to me and I cannot bare to have him in pain. I have the means to make hot drinks in my room so if he cannot sleep at least I shall be able to keep him supplied with such comforts and keep him company. Good night everyone, sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment